Ae92 Automatic Trannys

Got an AE92 with the 4AF-C Engine and a 3 Speed Auto, I believe they're the A130L. My Tranny is Dead (Left without Fluid for WAY to long I Believe) And I am planning on replacing it very shorly because I miss my car...

ANYWAY, Is there a 4 Speed Auto that will bolt straight up without much hassle, I plan on doing the work myself so the easier the better. That being said I am pretty handy so a small abount of rewiring etc will not be a problem

What are my options......

Any Help Much Appreciated

Members dont see this ad

High spec AE92's came out with a 4 speed O/D auto, CSX, Ultima etc. The 4 speed fits easy enough, but, you'll need the gear selector for inside the car as it has the button for the O/Drive. From what I've have been told with mine, the first 3 speeds are hydrolic but the 4th gear and lock up function on the torque converter is electronic, so the gearbox has a computer to control the 4th gear and the lockup function on the torque converter. You'll need that too. Without it you'll still have a 3 speed.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 4sp from a wrecker by mistake. Thinking I was buying a 3 speed.

My mate is a mechanic and he did the swap for me. It is a straight swap, gearbox wise. The 4 sp is a physically larger unit but hooks up to the same mount points, bolt holes etc.

I did buy new gearbox mounts for a 4sp while I was at it. To be honest I didn't take any notice if they were different.

The only thing I had to source was the thermostat housing and the auto's temp sensor (temp sensors are over $400 genuine, so look around for a good 2nd hand item).

I also bought a new torque converter.

And the gear lever and computer I've mentioned (got these from the same wreckers)

Drive shafts hooked up no problems.

The whole job took 3 days (after work). The thing looks and feels factory.

The result is brilliant. 2200rpm at 110km/h. The car is now a great cruiser rather than a roudy buzz box.