1981 Ke55 Coupe Engine Modifications

tylerrice

ok cool i will keep my eye on the SC12 on ebay. And i can pick up the 5K bottom and a 4K head. Out of curiosity if i was to put the 5K with 4K head in with the SC12, thats not going to go good with the 3speed auto in it is it.....

so I'm going to have to manual convert it, and I'm still after extractors sort of clueless on what type or whatever to get of these...

On the list so far:

5K Bottom - pending raffs rolla

4K head (Ported) - pending raffs rolla

SC12 Blower - pending eBay

Extractors

Members dont see this ad

Yeh Eaton will build the blower and fit it with the outlet best suited to the OEM application. I think the standard units from eaton have the rear exit, like shown in the CAPA drawings.

You should have no real trouble with the auto other than you're sacrificing power.

Cams are usually the issue with Automatics, but blown should be fine.

Edited by philbey

Yeh Eaton will build the blower and fit it with the outlet best suited to the OEM application. I think the standard units from eaton have the rear exit, like shown in the CAPA drawings.

You should have no real trouble with the auto other than you're sacrificing power.

Cams are usually the issue with Automatics, but blown should be fine.

Umm confused to what all this is/means? Eaton is the other blower i was looking at which ended and i missed it so am looking at a SC12 now. i think that's what you mean.

And that's good the auto will work till i get it changed, and the Cam i could get that machined to fix it up or leave it till i get the manual conversion? what cost am i looking at for a second hand manual conversion or all the parts?

Edited by tylerrice

The SC14 is a bigger charger (2000cc 1G) and is ultimately going to make more power as it can flow more volume..... Not to say that the SC12 won't do the job. After all the SC12 comes from a 1600cc (4a) so I don't think it will struggle to feed a 1500cc 5K. Really depends on how much boost you want to run too.

Never really had much to do with Eatons. Question for you Philbey if you know - Do they also have teflon coated rotor that can chip and flake at high boost like an SC?

Tyler, Eaton are the company that manfacture a lot of blowers for factory automotive applications;for example, mercedes use two different blowers, the M45 and the M62, both of which are manufactured by Eaton for mercedes. Other manufacturer's might also use these units on their cars, but they could be produced with different inlets and outlets, while keeping the same mechanical internals.

The model numbers on the Eatons also indicate the size, i think it's cubic inches per revolution (m45=45 ci). I think, need to confirm that. Supercharged commodores used the M90 model.

Taz dunno for sure about the rotor coating on the eaton, I've only looked at a few in the flesh and didn't pay much attention to it. I just searched "eaton m45 rotor coating" and it appears that there was a variety of different coatings applied to them over the various generations.

An interesting point raised through my search too that I'd not paid much thought too: the coatings are to provide a more effective seal between the rotors. In other words, this will allow more efficient boost production, particularly at lower revs.

I've seen loads of claims about delaminated rotors but never, ever seen conclusive evidence. I'd just try be sensible about the speed I run my blower at.

Hmm. Just though that might be something to bear in mind if you wanted to run high boost through it. Remeber reading something about the Toyota SC's not like too much over 15'ish PSI before the teflon starts to let go.

Yeah the coating/compression thing would just be like a turbo compressor wheel which has rubbed on the housing a bit and then struggles to hold boost in.

yep, it's all about clearances, especially with a roots blower which is a positive displacement unit pump.

Like I said there's lots of internexperts claiming this and that about the coating on the blowers coming off, either at high boost or high revs. both make sense to a degree but personally, I would put it down to revs, not boost.

The converse to that is that an undersized blower will need a lot of revs to make the boost.