My First Car (ke55)

vartain

Hello everyone. I bought my first car for $500 the other day. It is a 1981 3sp Auto with a standard 4k. The paint is fairly rough it even comes off onto you hand as you wipe your hand across the car. The seats are very ripped and there is a big dent in the rear bumper. My Plans so far it to paint it in a dark metallic midnight purple with 16" or 17" Chrome rims and Cream Leather interior throughout.

post-10245-1271580009_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1271580032_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1271580045_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1271580053_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1271580061_thumb.jpg

Edited by vartain

Members dont see this ad

Yeh well I'm lucky to walk away with $150 a week cos I'm still in school so unless someone wants to install and engine and trans for me for $300 I will go buy everything needed. It changes gear really smoothly but I think its a bit slow. We weren't going to test how fast it went without any brakes. It is actually really good for rust. None in the rear guards like usual but it has some bog patches on it. I would love to put a ca18det or sr20det in but I just don't have the money.

Nope but it is fairly straight. I can get a spray gun and compressor for free, I'm painting it myself. With no experience this should be fun. I know a few people though that have done panel stuff. Plus I noticed the paint is really cheap at Paint Supplies (west lakes boulevard) and it shouldn't be too bad quality. So a 5 Speed manual conversion sounds good but isn't 4k better then the 3k? Also how much would it cost to get someone else to do the conversion. I will pay for all the parts and tools needed if any but I just do not have a clue of how to do it.

Edited by vartain

my mate grenmac80 has painted seveal of my friends cars and al of the paint has cos atleast $300 a pop for a half decent respray. conversion is easy as piss on manual you just need to mod your existing gearbox x-member. yes a 4k-c goes better than a 3k but you can change the 4k-(california emmissions) carberator to a pre emmissions carby. if you have a squizz at the faq it explains this in better detail. and where abouts this great country may you reside?

Oops didnt see i haven't added that, I'm in the west suberbs of Adelaide. I'm probably going to spend upto $700 on the paintjob. I don't have a welder as well and I got no idea about what to do with modding the x-member. Is there any performance gain in changing the carby to the 3k?

Did the guy u buy it off have a pet tiger?

just kidding looks like a good base for a cheap project new rear bar and paint and should look sweet

wouldnt worry to much about the engine till ur outta school mayb just give it a refresh and have some fun with it

In order of what i'm doing:

Fixing Brakes - Master Cylinder (hopefully thats all thats wrong with it)

Changing Rims - 17" Chrome

Paintjob - Metallic Purple

Interior - Replace Front Seats With Racing Seats, Then Put Cream Leather Down Everywhere ;)

And then probably selling the car

As ur probarly on a tight budget puttin in cream leather would be very expensive looking at the interior shots

just an idea i would pick up some stock cream leather ta22 front n rear seat would get em cheap and would look the goods then just paint the plastics cream and easy to do ur door trims urself with some cream leather