Coilovers?

Istartfires

Members dont see this ad

This has been covered many times.

Do you really want to pay more in engineering than your car is worth?? Only to still get defected on the side of the road by an ego filled Police Officer?

Unless you are building a $100,000 exotic then don't worry about it - waste of time and money :blush:

Is it kind of a grey area?

I just rang a engineer who said it could cost about $3000.

That is ridiculous

First up this is not a grey area at all. Requirements for coil overs are pretty clear in this document from DTEI. You can start your mods now and get an engineer to look over it once done. But do it properly.

it's important to understand why it's expensive to engineer modifications. I'm a mech engineer and have considered getting my CPE, in particular so that I can approve coilover installs as it's fairly straightforward to do, a few hours spent to look over the car and produce a report. Keep in mind that at a fairly standard round 100 bucks an hour, you wouldn't get much change from 500.

The main reason why I haven't done it: professional indemnity. If I approve a suspension modification and after a crash a coroner rules that suspension failure contributed to someones death, I am personally liable and could lose everything I own. Professional indemnity insurance is available but wont do enough of this work on the side to pay the insurance bill.

Anyway, the biggest issue is getting round the heating issue, you'll need to get any welds x-rayed if you use weld on coilovers.

keep in mind that if you stack it and the insurance company decides they wont pay because you had an illegal mod on your car, then you could be up for more than 3K.

Just to clarify though, I think 3 grand is well too high. I was going to see if I could do the work for 500-750 but as mentioned for the small number of jobs I'd do in a year it would be too much in indemnity insurance.