My Ae70 Hardtop From Nz

ae70_coupe

Hey, first post on here. I'm a mechanic at Toyota, love old toyots of course!

I'm in New Zealand and heres my 1979 ae70 corolla GL hardtop.

Bought it end of 2007, and slowly been doing stuff to it since.

It originally had 3au, 4spd man, s series diff, a few kms on body, was champagne, but had a quick respray in red. looks alot better! had most rust cut out too.

Always loved the 4ages, and decided i was gunna put one in.

this is how it was when i got it

Image003.jpg

painting engine bay in my garage

Carpaintdenginebay.jpg

and then 4age

Image062.jpg

Engine:

4age smallport from ae92

standard everything

pod filter

2.25inch exhaust

KE70 rack and pinion conversion, with column, x-member etc.

AE86 T-50 5 speed

AE86 2 piece driveshaft

MA45 T series Disk brake diff

MA45 front struts, solid 10inch rotors F/R

Custom coilovers. 8kg front, mk5 cortina springs rear

14x6.5 and 14x6 watanabe wheels with poohs offset.

Got it certed, wofed street legal etc.

still a bit high in the rear

Image087.jpg

Now for my 14x7.5 -5ish volk mesh on the back with more low. and the watanabe 14x6.5 on front

DSC00946.jpg

Heres my car now with guard mirrors from an ae70 SE, at a classic car meet, and at 2 different taupo track days,

on 14x7.5 techno phantoms with slicks =P, and 14x7.5 volk mesh.

Note i have steel bumpers =) not huge ass plastic ones.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

img5647ss.jpg

img5480ss.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

carina-sightings-carina-coupe-aa63-pic1preview.jpg

P1010492a.jpg

Thats just a few i have. that was back before feb 09. i redid everything after that.

Edited by ae70_coupe

Members dont see this ad

Before the last track day, the sunny one, i did a w55 gearbox conversion using niteparts bellhousing, ae101 4agze clutch, standard w55 x-member (from a st140 corona) just flipped it around and it worked, =P

Very good setup now, pretty much bulletproof. Diff was a 4.1 open, but had a 3.9 locker lying around so put that in.

Have a 4.55 ready now though.

Engine died.. ran 3 big ends. Luckily i had a rebuilt smallport bottom end so i threw that in. The brakes were good, but i wanted more. Have now fittet r32 gts-t m-spec booster and master cylinder. was very easy to fit. put dot-5 fluid in it and wow those brakes are magic, never failed, even after 4hours straight of going nuts around taupo track in the boiling heat! I did get flames coming off the rotors at the end of the main straight though. And filled the pits with all the smoke from the front rotors.. hmm

SUSPENSION/BRAKES, got some ohlins subaru camber plates, wrx RED front adjusties (32way adjustable) and did the hilux/peugeot brake conversion. Except i didnt use xt130 struts, i used LX60 diesel cressida struts. was the right bolt spacing for the calliper so i used em. although i had to use corona lower arms and steering arms.

Painted the callipers green, adjusties all welded up onto my struts. Fitted it to the car and found it can go very low.

Cut some more out of the rear cortina springs, guna leave em in as theyre not too bad.

And i managed to get the calliper tucked under 14inch rims =)

Edited by ae70_coupe

Another post.

Now have

14x7.5 -5ish volk mesh on front, with 4mm slip on spacer. 195/45/14 tyres

14x8.5 +6ish SSR mk2 on rear, with 12mm slip on spacer, 185/60/14 tyres.

I think ill be putting 185/55s on the front later.

Fitted ae86 baffled EFI fuel tank and 500hp walbro fuel pump, have a apexi safc2 and tomei fpr ready also.

Engine.

I was going to build high output NA smallport with blacktop quads etc. but realised it was gunna cost a bit.

so i went and bought a ae101 4agze, fully complete, with loom/ecu etc. for 600bucks from a mate who was parting out his levin.

My plan. skimmed head,block and 0.8mm trd headgasket. 8.9:1 pistons, new rings, bearings, gasket kit, "SC14 from 1ggze" 14psi crank pulley from techno toy tuning, N/A smallport intake manifold, hks SSQV bov, fujitsubo 4-1 racing extractors, bluetop cams, toda cam gears, front mount intercooler.

And then it all came together after awhile =) Pics up once i get them on computer

Edited by ae70_coupe

• 3 months later...