Rn25: Hilda The Hilux

TOM

Thanks chaps, they may be indestructible mechanically...but they didn't use very thick metal in sections...

Essentailly this is a quick fix to get the plenum working again, get rid of all the rust and stop leaks then give her a spray and hope it lasts 10 years!

To fix it properly would involce an impossible amount of un-stitching, welding and is frankly just not worth it for the value of this car.

That said, it should clean up well and be a good lesson in bogging and fibreglassing for me, and will be a cool ride once done!

Today involved removal of steering column, pedal box and heater box to reveal the extent of the rust in plenum. Also took off doors and removed more crap from engine bay to prepare for the wielding of a variety of digging, gouging, scraping and general cleaning tools of the electric and compressed air variety.

P8300125.jpg

P8300118.jpg

Inspection holes these are... Honestly it's quite a mess :yes:

P8300120.jpg

P8300121.jpg

This is where the action's at people :hmm:

P8300124.jpg

P8300122.jpg

Found a relatively watertight parts receptacle...

P8300128.jpg

Members dont see this ad

More progress over the last few days, will slow now as holidays are nearly over!

Have started on the rust holes with a quick 2 hour session yesterday using fibreglass to bridge holes which were too big for bog!

Today I went to do more work on the tub at the wrecker, and with the help of a mate we got it off with no real dramas. Took a few bits home and pondered the next step...

Decided to start on these three areas and the tops of the front guards where the fender mirrors used to be.

P9020119.jpg

P9020118.jpg

P9020115.jpg

Step one complete...fibreglass fixes...

P9020125.jpg

P9020126.jpg

And the tub, removed and almost ready to take to sandblasters...

03092011009.jpg

03092011010.jpg

03092011008.jpg

Also there has been a change in colour plans, now going with matt willow green, toyota logo on tailgate in white and possibly some white rat styling here and there... The options are many at this stage!!!

Edited by TOM
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
At work we still have brand new (aftermarket) tail lights to suit these, PM me if you want to get your mitts on a pair...looks like your gonna need them lol. your ones have no lenses in the pics...

Thanks man I may well be in touch...although there are heaps on feebay relatively cheap too.

Progress...

Picked the tub up finally, and to make matters easier we dropped it straight off at the sandblasters, which ended up being a damn good idea!!

They took great care blasting it, got in all the nooks & crannies and gave me a ridicolously cheap price, so it saved me heaps of time and money!

We then got it home and blasted it the next night with a hardcore 2-pak epoxy primer...this shit is what they use to paint the San-Francisco bridge...it's hard as hell, can be left for 6 months before top-coat and can be glassed and filled straight over. So we layed a full 4 litres on there :dance:

17092011104.jpg

21092011106.jpg

21092011114.jpg

24092011130.jpg

Few hours here...

22092011119.jpg

Swiss cheese anyone? Solution is in the works but will remain a surprise until the end...

22092011117.jpg

24092011131.jpg

• 2 years later...