Boot Springs - Ke 70

JeFfReYiSpEacE

it sounds like maybe the metal of the latch is rubbing

or it could be the hinge is a bit loose? you also might want to check your panel gaps, just to make sure the bootlid is not rubbing on the body

if indeed it is the bootlid, you could adjust the latch down, to pull the lid closer to the rubber seal when it's closed. or get a thicker generic boot seal, you'll probably have to slam the boot every time you close it, but it won't move

i would use silicon spray instead of wd40. less of a smell, less messy residue. if that makes the squeaking stop temporarily, then greasing the component (with wheel bearing grease or vaseline or something of similar consistency) would offer a longer term fix. but may be a bit messy

i spose as a final troubleshooting measure, you could take the hinges and bootlid and torsions and latch out altogether and see if the squeaking remains, perhaps it's none of those things

i had a boot squeak and it ended up being the small captive nut at the bottom of the spare wheel well. i never used the original wheel holddown because it didn't fit the wheel i had in there at the time. i simply put a bolt into the captive nut and tightened it down and it was fine

boot squeaks are so hard to find, as stupid as it sounds (and dangerous and illegal), you might end up having to drive around with a mate in the boot and a mechanic's stethoscope

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad