The Sx Seca Daily/Project

Onikage

You might remember that i was looking for an AE93 SX/GTi a few months ago, well i picked one up so may as well show it off a bit.

It's a White Series 1 SX Seca which had 208xxx on the clock at time of purchase.

Pretty much granny spec aside from an alpine headunit which may as well be dead, and rear muffler has been replaced at some point with a decent looking tip, no peashooters here XD.

Anyway onto the pics, some featuring TroysRollaSX

post-12911-076326900 1305536603_thumb.jpgpost-12911-096843400 1305536578_thumb.jpgpost-12911-053211500 1305536587_thumb.jpgpost-12911-034563800 1305536594_thumb.jpg

Edited by Onikage

Members dont see this ad

Cheers,

Plans are to make it not so granny spec, here's some things I want to do in future

-Get a decent fully working headunit in there (current one can't have radio programmed properly, and it refuses to play CD's)

-upgrade the speakers (i suspect the front two are dead)

-Get a 12" sub, or maybe twin 10"s

-Alarm (to make the car more secure)

-Aftermarket wheels (14" or 15", in a dark grey, shadow chrome or black)

-Window Tint

-Possibly Power window conversion (need to find out whats required for it)

-Get the car sitting a bit lower (Will be getting decent shocks and springs to improve handling)

-Few other bits and pieces to improve handling

-Get an extension on the front bar extension (Cue Xzibit, I've seen a few SX with a small black lip at the very bottom of the front bar, I think it looks overrated)

-AE101 Short shifter mod

-Cold air intake

-Airhorns!!

-Mild cams + Exhaust to suit

That's all i have off the top of my head,

but first things first, gotta get the timing belt changed and the brakes professionally bled, to get the car close to A1 Mechanically before cosmetic mods start

:D

You've really got your shit sorted with this car man. Love the ideas :)

I went down the route of 15's, they're not a bad rim size, but if you like bling, go an inch or two bigger. Mine have nice on-road capabilities being 15x7 rather than stock 14, hold on to anything :)

This model didn't come with the power windows? :hmm:

How big a system would you go with exhaust? 2 1/4" cat back?

:D

You've really got your shit sorted with this car man. Love the ideas :)

I went down the route of 15's, they're not a bad rim size, but if you like bling, go an inch or two bigger. Mine have nice on-road capabilities being 15x7 rather than stock 14, hold on to anything :)

This model didn't come with the power windows? :hmm:

How big a system would you go with exhaust? 2 1/4" cat back?

The ideas are mostly to make the car better to drive, with a few things thrown in on the looks side of things. It will become a daily at some point so its gotta remain reasonable.

Rim choice will be something that doesn't sacrifice handling too much but still looks good, so 14-15" is the way to go I hear. Does your car handle better since upgrading to 15x7 rims?

Series 1 didn't have power windows standard, so you get some with, some without, Series 2 like Troy's came standard with them, but they pay for it with less comfy seats :P

I'm not sure how big i'd go with the exhaust, i'd choose a size which is best for performance, based on what hardware the engine has (The cams are a maybe at this point) Extra noise would be nice too, the car is pretty quiet stock :bash:

I like the look of it in stock form :)

This size rim I find is ideal for handling, as the extra width gives you a much more sure-footed feel going into corners (may help having Goodyear F1's on the front). Wouldn't go back to a standard rim size, but be prepared for a little road noise.

Ahh ;)

Even a cheap sports system like mine has a nice note down low, and would sure as hell sound nice on a more ballsy engine :)

Good to see you finally got around to putting up a thread about it mate! And even happier that you're happy with it, seeing as I helped out in a few small ways with it.

It's a great example of an AE93 SX, goes REALLY well, is mechanically A1, and goes better then mine does! Great score!

Cheers,

Plans are to make it not so granny spec, here's some things I want to do in future

-Get a decent fully working headunit in there (current one can't have radio programmed properly, and it refuses to play CD's)

-upgrade the speakers (i suspect the front two are dead)

-Get a 12" sub, or maybe twin 10"s

-Alarm (to make the car more secure)

-Aftermarket wheels (14" or 15", in a dark grey, shadow chrome or black)

-Window Tint

-Possibly Power window conversion (need to find out whats required for it)

-Get the car sitting a bit lower (Will be getting decent shocks and springs to improve handling)

-Few other bits and pieces to improve handling

-Get an extension on the front bar extension (Cue Xzibit, I've seen a few SX with a small black lip at the very bottom of the front bar, I think it looks overrated)

-AE101 Short shifter mod

-Cold air intake

-Airhorns!!

-Mild cams + Exhaust to suit

That's all i have off the top of my head,

but first things first, gotta get the timing belt changed and the brakes professionally bled, to get the car close to A1 Mechanically before cosmetic mods start

A lot of those are things that have been done to mine, or it came with when I got it, lol.

I'm pretty sure the extension on the front bar that you speak of, you've already got, just some people paint it a different colour. Compared to my Series 2 front bar, yours does sit a fraction lower.

You should come up here to Naracoorte S.A. for a decent run in it - mine went through less then 3/4 of a tank for the 468kms, I'm sure yours would do even better then that!

Good to see you finally got around to putting up a thread about it mate! And even happier that you're happy with it, seeing as I helped out in a few small ways with it.

It's a great example of an AE93 SX, goes REALLY well, is mechanically A1, and goes better then mine does! Great score!

A lot of those are things that have been done to mine, or it came with when I got it, lol.

I'm pretty sure the extension on the front bar that you speak of, you've already got, just some people paint it a different colour. Compared to my Series 2 front bar, yours does sit a fraction lower.

You should come up here to Naracoorte S.A. for a decent run in it - mine went through less then 3/4 of a tank for the 468kms, I'm sure yours would do even better then that!

Cheers, forgot to mention that you had a big part in helping get my SX on the road.

Nah you can get yet another lip which can be added onto the factory lip extension.

34oeskp.jpg

Those lips are from a MX73 cressida. It'll make the front look a little lower and nicer :D

Yeah i'll have to come down to Naracoorte one day, reunite the rollas! Though mine probably won't do as well on fuel in it's current state, still runs a bit rich and still has the hot air intake.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Not much to update on, except oil and coolant was changed within the last two months. And the car has seen more regular use as a daily.

One thing that concerns me though, is the car's fuel consumption. With a mix of city/highway driving, and usually driving at a similar pace to the rest of the traffic, i'm getting about 7.5/8L per 100km, or about 450km to approx 36L, a bit more than they should be using?

Is it worth changing plugs, leads and fuel filter (haven't been done since buying the car back in march)or does this point to a sensor issue?

Thats not too bad economy, but a simple thing as changing the spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter should make a difference. I take it your driving style is preety sensible with the occasional clearing of the cobwebs. If there is a subtle change, but not what you'd expect, i'd consider checking the sensors and giving it a bottle of injector cleaner and spraying out the throttle body.

As an example, my ae94 hatch I bought in March with a 4afe and 5 speed driven preety sedately that has had new plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, coolant, throttle body clean, a shot of injector cleaner (which you should try) gave me very good economy for city driving which was 180kms and 11.08 litres of fuel which returned 6.15L/100km.

I fill the tank to full, when the 1st quarter is used thats when I top it up, hence 180kms, and amount of fuel used.

Thats not too bad economy, but a simple thing as changing the spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter should make a difference. I take it your driving style is preety sensible with the occasional clearing of the cobwebs. If there is a subtle change, but not what you'd expect, i'd consider checking the sensors and giving it a bottle of injector cleaner and spraying out the throttle body.

As an example, my ae94 hatch I bought in March with a 4afe and 5 speed driven preety sedately that has had new plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, coolant, throttle body clean, a shot of injector cleaner (which you should try) gave me very good economy for city driving which was 180kms and 11.08 litres of fuel which returned 6.15L/100km.

I fill the tank to full, when the 1st quarter is used thats when I top it up, hence 180kms, and amount of fuel used.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll change the filters, plugs, leads, clean out the throttlebody and see how I go.

Nice ae93. I really like the look of the lift back design but I've never been in one and driven one. There is one near my work that looks so sexy! I love to look at it haha, have fun with your corolla!

Thanks, I find it to be an easy car to drive and has plenty of poke for the street, so it makes a great daily!

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated in quite a while...

Since the last update, the car had had new plugs, leads, throttlebody clean and fuel filter. The old fuel in the old filter was pretty nasty...post-12911-0-53431900-1321420826_thumb.jpg

Yes, the fuel was actually that brown, I may have to drop the fuel tank at some stage to see what sort of crud is in it. But it did 6.8L/100km on the last tank, meaning it can safely do 500km in mixed conditions with mostly civil driving.

Throttlebody is a bit oily again, seems the 4AGE likes to blow oil into the throttlebody, and occasionally blows smoke under heavy acceleration.

Recently I thought I'd tackle the rust on the car, it has rust in the usual spots, roof gutters, and under window trims. So far I've only found surface rust.

post-12911-0-59997000-1321421109_thumb.jpgpost-12911-0-07586600-1321421116_thumb.jpgpost-12911-0-82080900-1321421123_thumb.jpg

Pulled off the trims on the RHS, removed most of the rust, used rust converter and am currently priming it.

Edited by Onikage

• 3 weeks later...

After digging a bit deeper, there is little bits of rust in various places on the car, nothing serious has been found, most came off with a bit of thinner on a rag, the rest of it got rust converted.

One place with the biggest patch of rust and masses of grime was the metal underneath the boot opening seal. I just gave the area a quick clean and hit the rust with converter, as my current focus is getting the roof gutters up to scratch.

Anyway, pics of the gunk under the boot rubber

post-12911-0-88049500-1322736658_thumb.jpgpost-12911-0-09786600-1322736677_thumb.jpg

On a different note, I have a set of aftermarket shocks and springs to install on the car. Do I need to disconnect the brake hoses to do the swap?