4K Headgasket In Hobart

Nostalgia

I need my headgasket replaced on my 4k in my Liteace, ust wondering where other people have gone to get their k engines worked on in the Hobart/Kingborough area.

Somewhere cheap(enough) and maybe someone who would let me watch, I'm keen to learn :blush:

Cheers, Toby

Members dont see this ad

I only really know of performance workshops around Hobart (Pro Automotive, Shaw Performance, GT Garage, Eurotech), all who will charge an arm and a leg indefinitely for a simple job such as this, as they'd rather spend their time working on JZ's and RB26's... I have been told for a run of the mill job, stay away from Co-op. Whilst they use all genuine parts and perform quality jobs, they ain't cheap. I have dealt with Cooper Automotive before, and they changed the pads / belts on my girlfriends Swift for a pittance, were fast, and were friendly to deal with. This was the Lindisfarne workshop, and Mark (owner) is usually around there.

On the other hand, if you have a torque wrench, a service manual, a few hours on your hands, and some gasket dissolver/scraper, it really is a simple job. Just take the head to be machined and you're good to go. I know that doesn't answer your question, but if you're willing to learn, the most rewarding way is self-taught. In saying that, I helped a mate change the head gasket on his 1JZ-GTE, so next to that, the 4K was a walk in the park :cool:

Good luck man

Yeah I want to have a crack at it myself, but I don't want to screw it up and have my wallet regret it!

I need a few more small things done so I'm getting a manual anyway, I just don't have a torque wrench.

Sounds like Coopers is the way to go!

Thanks for that mate

hi i have just started a mobile mechanics business so can do the head gasket replacement at your house,

so you would be able to watch and learn how its done at the same time. i am a qualified mechanic have been for 5 years now and have alot of eperiance with toyotas, as I'm just starting out on my own i can do u a good deal as i need all the work i can get at the moment. if you are interested call me on 0407 414 128 my name is James.