4Age With Tomei Poncams Not Running

Ok so I got my Tomei Poncams into my bigport 4AGE tonight, and set all the valve clearances to spec. Reassembled the motor and tried cranking it over and it wouldn't start, when it eventually did I had to keep my foot on the gas and keep it at about 1500rpm to keep it running otherwise it would conk out. It also sounds like a unhappy rotary at the moment.

So the tomei cams came with two manuals, one's got the cam specs on it and the other has instructions. The instructions say the poncams are designed to run on stock valve timing and valve timing set up isn't required, therefore I set them to the stock set up. I set my ignition timing statically to 10deg BTDC while I had the diagnostic terminal bridged.

The spec's page on the other hand says the cams should be set to a 106 - 110 setting which from what I recall is not stock?

I can smell a bit of unburnt fuel too so I am leaning towards my timing is way out but I am not sure. I also do not have the cold start system hooked up on my car as the guy who previously built the motor never set it up and I never really saw much need to.

What do you guys think it is? the valve timing being at 110- 110 and not 106 - 110 OR is it something to do with my ignition timing? or is it something completely different?

Cheers

Charl

Members dont see this ad
  • 6 months later...

Hi Karl,

How did you go with this post - did you get any clear answers?

I did exactly the same install on my BigPort and had exactly the same problem. Unfortunately the upshot of it is that I now have a leaking / damaged exhaust Valve on Cyl.3 and have to take the whole damn thing apart again. I obviously did something wrong & don't know what. I need to find out so it doesm't happen again.

My Engine guy asked me how I inserted the Cams; if I had them such that Inlet4 was closing / Exhaust4 was opening etc - truth is I can't remember - I was just going off a Haynes Manual. As you well know, I now have the major PITA of R/R the head. The guy that did my block & head also said I should have dialled the Cams in - even though Tomei says they are P & P ???

Needless to say I will NOT be putting head back on unless I am 100% on proper procedure. . .

Regards

George

Ok so I got my Tomei Poncams into my bigport 4AGE tonight, and set all the valve clearances to spec. Reassembled the motor and tried cranking it over and it wouldn't start, when it eventually did I had to keep my foot on the gas and keep it at about 1500rpm to keep it running otherwise it would conk out. It also sounds like a unhappy rotary at the moment.

So the tomei cams came with two manuals, one's got the cam specs on it and the other has instructions. The instructions say the poncams are designed to run on stock valve timing and valve timing set up isn't required, therefore I set them to the stock set up. I set my ignition timing statically to 10deg BTDC while I had the diagnostic terminal bridged.

The spec's page on the other hand says the cams should be set to a 106 - 110 setting which from what I recall is not stock?

I can smell a bit of unburnt fuel too so I am leaning towards my timing is way out but I am not sure. I also do not have the cold start system hooked up on my car as the guy who previously built the motor never set it up and I never really saw much need to.

What do you guys think it is? the valve timing being at 110- 110 and not 106 - 110 OR is it something to do with my ignition timing? or is it something completely different?

Cheers

Charl