Noobs

phil86

my opinion on this is where do you start?! unfortunately being a corolla forum we range from ke10 to ae82 to well the ones with lots of z's in them. and unless you wanna specify one model then it's silly because fitting a 4age into a ke10 is so much different to that of fitting in a ke70 and unless we are gonna cover every model with each individual conversion then the silly questions will never end and as said about all the info is on the net just gotta search long and hard. plus just cause someone on here writes a thread on how to 13b a ke30 doesn't mean it's the best way.

in conclusion I don't know if this reply made any sense and I'm not reading it again but yeah.

cheers Tom

Members dont see this ad

That all makes sense Tom.

I guess the position is that there is a lot of information online these days, and sometimes if can be hard to find if you don't know where to look (and/or don't know what to ignore/filter out).

There's no possible way that everything could be covered, and you make a good point that it would be hard to specify what to even cover.

I guess there are two issues.

• Finding answers to the questions that have been answered a million times already
  • Finding answers to the obscure questions that might have only been answered once

Nisrolla/Dave make a good point, there are some very common questions/situations that seem to arise all the time. Making a simple life of common questions could probably solve this. The site already has an FAQ, and this could be leveraged. I think the FAQ/wiki contains a lot of information though, so maybe having a subpage that is "Common Questions" with links to threads answering them would be good.

The other issue people face (not necessarily newbies) is finding answers to the really obscure questions. Sometimes things that people take for granted. I've lately been trying to find out specifically what size trumpets I can put onto a silvertop in a KE70 without lots of luck. Sure after wading through some build threads you might see someone say "this size fit" or "this size was too big, without cutting" but it wasn't super easy.

The point about it not always being the best way is also extremely valid. But I think the thing that people need to remember (and should never ever forget) is that this is the internet! You can't believe everything (or anything) that you read on the net. You have to take it with a grain of salt, and use it as a guide for making your own decisions etc.

I find this a very interesting point and in a sense warming to know there are people out there who realise not everyone is a mechanical engineer. If i am to add my 2c, i don't proclaim to be any sort of expert in mechanics however i've found that not just sticking to one model of car and researching that for eg: KE70.. But rather, reading about all different models of toyotas and different brands of cars, reading the stories of peoples personal engine swaps and bits and peices also i find helps enourmously.

Very often ive had the same issue trying to work out if a bit will work or not. Ive suggested to a mate who wants to get stuck into an MX5 project and ill suggest it to you also as others have. Buy an engine stand, pick up a cheap motor and work on it yourself. I was always scared myself to do even small things in the past like change fuel filters, cause it was either too hard, didnt understand how to do it, didnt know where it was. But decided one day. OK my project for today is to do XXX. I did it and now i think Oh thats easy!

I guess many many people "talk" about wanting to do conversion X and Y and put 2JZ into KE70 and tell all there mates about it, but never physically get around to it and its these sort of people that cause annoyance for the more experience people either trying to help genuine people. You have to start learning from somewhere, so why not set yourself the project of getting something like a 5K, put it on an engine stand in a space. Get yourself a tool kit, a workshop manual and go through the process of rebuilding it. It gives you a project to tinker with and satisfy your curiosity while you will learn an incredible amount. This will also inspire you and give you confidence to take it to the next level. Once its finished and your ready, you will definately feel more confident in swapping the motor out.

Often its just the unknown that makes us unsure but if your genuine about it, then I'm sure you will end up doing it, just takes time and motivation and the whillingness to learn and realise you have to start from taking the first step. :happy: