4Age 20 Valve Silvertop Problem

jamieke30

Members dont see this ad

..leaf in the fuel tank keeps floating over the outlet and getting sucked down onto it & blocking it. Then when you turn it off it floats away... true story!

Ok, does it seem like a lack of fuel at all?? Can you wind it up in 2nd and 3rd to the redline, or run it up a hill at full throttle just to check that you are getting a full flow of fuel through?

Can you turn it off immediately it starts to splutter and pull the plugs out, then decide if they are rich or lean?? Maybe it floods from too much fuel & dies.. injectors sticking open or something like that.

I've seen a wire break off a coil and every now and then it would float away and the car would die, then it would drop back onto the coil and the car would start fine. Check as many electrical connections as you can.

When its spluttering, pull over and pull the plugs off one at a time. Is it one cylinder midfiring a lot, or is it all of them missing a bit.

Does it do it when cold only, or hot only, or both?

..leaf in the fuel tank keeps floating over the outlet and getting sucked down onto it & blocking it. Then when you turn it off it floats away... true story!

Ok, does it seem like a lack of fuel at all?? Can you wind it up in 2nd and 3rd to the redline, or run it up a hill at full throttle just to check that you are getting a full flow of fuel through?

Can you turn it off immediately it starts to splutter and pull the plugs out, then decide if they are rich or lean?? Maybe it floods from too much fuel & dies.. injectors sticking open or something like that.

I've seen a wire break off a coil and every now and then it would float away and the car would die, then it would drop back onto the coil and the car would start fine. Check as many electrical connections as you can.

When its spluttering, pull over and pull the plugs off one at a time. Is it one cylinder midfiring a lot, or is it all of them missing a bit.

Does it do it when cold only, or hot only, or both?

hey mate cheers for the reply hahaha the first one was a crack up lol well it does it hot or cold i replaced the airflow meter and it worked fine for a week and just started again so i was thinking a wireing problem but I'm no mechanic its got me bumbed aye and what wire were u talking about on the coil cause it doesnt have a coil like a 4age 16valve its different

Seriously, I can't see it being either of those problems.

What sort of airflow meter? I have a MAF on the Altezza that needs a spray of cleaner every year as the oil vapour from the motor coats the element. That's just a little plastic plug with a couple of wires sticking out, and the car is sharper in response afterwards but nothing as bad as yours when its dirty.

So, you don't have a warmup cycle problem. It could be fuel starvation, it seems as though the pump can't supply enough flow... Fuel line blocked, filter blocked, pump dying...

Wiring problems would involve a computer somewhere, some component gets hot when working and dies, cools off when you stop and starts working again.. Unless some wire is jammed against a sharp edge and it can short out while running, then somehow free itself when stopped.

Do they have error codes in the system?

You'll have to wait until the 4AGE gurus answer I think, some of the guys on here know all about them.

Seriously, I can't see it being either of those problems.

What sort of airflow meter? I have a MAF on the Altezza that needs a spray of cleaner every year as the oil vapour from the motor coats the element. That's just a little plastic plug with a couple of wires sticking out, and the car is sharper in response afterwards but nothing as bad as yours when its dirty.

So, you don't have a warmup cycle problem. It could be fuel starvation, it seems as though the pump can't supply enough flow... Fuel line blocked, filter blocked, pump dying...

Wiring problems would involve a computer somewhere, some component gets hot when working and dies, cools off when you stop and starts working again.. Unless some wire is jammed against a sharp edge and it can short out while running, then somehow free itself when stopped.

Do they have error codes in the system?

You'll have to wait until the 4AGE gurus answer I think, some of the guys on here know all about them.

yeah i dunno its got a vn fuel pump so i no its getting fuel i took the line out and there was no blockage its pissing me of