February 9, 200620 yr comment_100631 G'day, I'm considering giving my 4k a tweak over the next few months or so, but being on a budget I want to start slow and get the cheaper parts first. For the moment, I'd like to get the timing gear up to scratch so I can at least rev it out to a half decent rev range without jumping straight for carbies and a cam. Being far from an expert on the subject, I will need a bit of help with what to buy to make the most of my money. I have been listening around a bit and finding out bits and pieces of info on my engine, what problems they have stock and what I can do to make em go a bit better. One thing I have heard that I want to do something about is the poor quality of the distributor points. What would be the easiest thing to do? Put an entire new distributor in or take the points out of a different car? What will fit? Should I go magnetic points? I'll very much appreciate any help I can get Tom Report
February 9, 200620 yr comment_100635 if you are going to replace the timing chain, you should consider upgrading to a double row setup and install a reground cam while you are in there. save you having to drop the sump twice. not really a fun job in a car. replace the 4 timing cover studs with bolts. it will make life way easier if you have to pull it again later. look into a jaycar or dick smith high energy ignition kit. these work with the stock points but switch the coil electronically. i have had a set of points last 3 years with one. only the rubbing block wears, the contacts never pit. Report
February 12, 200620 yr Author comment_101327 The ignition kit sounds good...and cheap! That one's a definite yes. So what are all the parts I need in order to switch to double row? Report
February 12, 200620 yr comment_101333 all 3k's had double row setups. raid one. the double row gears don't wear very much, so just combine with a new chain and tensioner. Report
February 18, 200620 yr comment_102641 this is pretty interesting, so getting a 3k dual chain+tensioner installed?will help with timing? Edited February 18, 200620 yr by Perthke55 Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now