Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Painting Dash\centre Console

Featured Replies

Hey guys I'm Mat and I just recently joined the rolla family with my 84' ke70. :) I just pulled out my dash and and am going to do the same with my centre console shortly as I was going to replace the cracked parts with healthy ones and replace the old near 30 year old carpet with a new black one (moulded and on it's way!)

 

So the point of this thread is to ask for tips and steps on how to go about painting the new parts I'll be getting (Top of the dash above glove box and instrument cluster and centre console) to match my carpet. I was personally thinking about going with a lighter grey paint, but what sort of steps should I take to make sure I do as good as job as I can?

 

Do I need to sand paint back? Do I need a primer and clear coat? Is this just a rattle can job?

 

Note: This will be the first time I've done some sort of painting a part from my own bedroom, so help a rookie out!

Pretty sure the interior plastics are not painted but just coloured plastics? Anyway, there's no need to sand them back if they haven't been painted before. And the surface of the interior plastics is not flat but dimpled, so you probably wouldn't be able to sand it properly anyway unless you want a smooth finish. Just clean the surface really, really well with a scotch-brite pad then wax and grease remover, and definitely use a plastic primer/plastic adhesion promoter or whatever it's called. Then you can paint over it. Yes it's a rattle can job.

 

EDIT: this may help you:

 

Skip the intro because it's heaps lame.

Edited by rian

+ 1 for everything above. Clean it REALLY well, plastic adhesion primer, paint. You'll be surprised how good a finish you can get out of decent quality spray cans. I've used Duplicolour plastic and vinyl paint before and it works sweet.

 

  • Author

Thanks a lot for the help Fellas, the finished product actually came up really good I thought, looks better than the poo brown!

post-18073-0-66547400-1362464515_thumb.jpg

post-18073-0-13028200-1362464541_thumb.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.