K Series Diff Options.

GJM85

I have ke55 borg warner diff in my ke20. Its starting to get all harmonic around the 100kph/3000rpm range. Its fine under acceleration and braking. It occurs specifically cruising in 5th gear at that speed.

Sound a bit like a washing machine. "brrrr brrrr brrrr brrrr". Just like that!

It appears to have a lot of backlash and it 'clunks' when you twist the tailshaft backwards and forwards.

As this diff has the ke twenty spring mounts fitted id like to use this diff housing.

What are my options in regards to replacing the diff centre and how hard is it?

Will the centre out of any k series bw diffs fit?

Edited by GJM85

Members dont see this ad
Its starting to get all harmonic around the 100kph/3000rpm range. Its fine under acceleration and braking. It occurs specifically cruising in 5th gear at that speed.

Sound a bit like a washing machine. "brrrr brrrr brrrr brrrr". Just like that!

It appears to have a lot of backlash and it 'clunks' when you twist the tailshaft backwards and forwards.

Exactly! Now that you know why I'm fitting a Celica banjo diff instead of the Borgwarner..

I think they are quite difficult to tear apart and fix, as they are set-up inside the casing. So many hours are spent fitting the crownwheel and pinion in and out with different shims on different sides to get the wear pattern correct. I assume that's why I was quoted $1500 to have mine done, and it had to go 4hrs away to Dubbo.

The banjo diff core lifts out the front as one piece, so you can set up all the clearances on the bench then bolt it back it.

I reckon it would be easier to weld the spring mounts onto a banjo, or certainly just get another non-noisy diff. Mine has done about 150,000km, so Borgies don't last long!

I'd love it if someone on here said "nah they're easy.." and put up a "how to fix your diff" thread.

Yeah. I see your point with the ra diff. Unfortunately I don't have access to a welder and being on minimum wage with 3 kids, having work done by the professionals is way out of my price range.

I could just get another diff but with the ke20 shocks being in a bastard position I really need to keep the mounts.

Ah yes, I forgot about the shocks! Not so simple then-

You could try checking that one and re-shimming it if needed, but I've never done it. Other than that its easier to get another KE55.

That Celica diff cost me $100 from the wrecker, so its likely a KE55 is worth less. You would get one cheaper on here, I'm sure someone has one lying around.. I have a feeling Rob threw one out at Xmas, but we're 850km from Beaudesert!