3Rz Twin Carb Conversion?

Bueno

Ok, I'm aware some people wont like this. I'm aware dept of transport also wouldnt like this....

But I'm interested anyway.

Early 3rz's ran a distributor of sorts, i believe the later ones still have the hole in the head for the dizzy, just blanked off.

I'm just wondering whether it would be a massive backwards step performance wise to convert an efi 3rz to carb and dizzy.

My reasons are simple, I just really like webers/dellortos :) . They sound hot!

By my way of thinking an efi 3rz is a 2.7L four which makes about 150hp (flywheel) at 4500-5000ish rpm. Lots of 2L 4 cyls can make that at high rpm with webers, so I'm guessing the carbs wouldnt know if they happen to be on a 2L 4cyl making 150hp at 7500-8000 rpm or a 2.7 making 150 at 4500 rpm?

Anyway was just wondering what the general consensus was from other people, from a performance point, disregarding emissions and economy which would obviously suffer.

Ive seen 4age's and sr20s running sidedraft carbs and was just thinking it could be cool.

Aparently LCE in the states have built 2rz and 3rz NA carb motors for people in racing classes that specify carbs so it has been done anyway.

Interested to hear some thoughts.

Jes

Members dont see this ad

If your doing it for the noise, you Would be better off converting it to individual throttle bodies and retaining efi.

Carbs maybe cool but appart from nostalgic reasons there is basically no reason to put them on a modern engine.

If you go the carb route you could always use an ignition only ecu and use whatever crank angle system exists. I had an old haltech running the spark on my carby suzuki engine.

Thanks for the reply Dave!

ITB did cross my mind as another possible solution, Its just a little sad when you want to increase fuelling( or convert to ITB) in an efi system you need to buy so much stuff to do it (aftermarket ecu, usually bigger injectors and fuel pump/ reg) to run it all.

Cheers

Jes

It depends how much head room the standard injectors have, and weather you can easily get some upgrades from a bigger engine. You arent going to get much more than 5-10% more hp out of the itbs, some might say youd lose some hp down low. So you arent lookin for monster fuel increase. If you stay n/a i doubt youd need a different regulator.

Aftermarket ecu is an expense yes. Amd don't forget a wideband. Look around for bargains though, I picked up and old haltech e8 for $200. Great ecu for the price A

Edited by ke70dave