Ke30 To Ke55 Fuel Tank Sender Unit

Banjo

Most guys & gals on this forum have had problems with the fuel gauge at one time or another. If it isn't the little DC voltage regulator on the back of the dash panel PCB burning out, then it is the sensor itself in the tank sticking, or going open circuit.

My biggest gripe has always been that the gauge is so non linear. After you fill up, the gauge reads full, but drops rapidly down to about 1/2 full, but has only used about 1/4 of the tanks volume. The last 1/3 of the gauge takes days & days to get to zero. I can always read accurately a point right at the bottom of the gauge, where there is about 5 litres left in the tank, so I then fill up. Two (2) weeks ago, I ran out of petrol one night, as I think the gauge jammed or got stuck, just above zero.

This morning, the gauge didn't move at all, for the first 10 minutes of the trip. Then all of a sudden, it started to move up to it's proper position. I think it is sticking. The pivot pins actually wear out.

My question is, has anyone adapted the existing sensor, using a resistor wire & wiper off a late model car of either Toyota or any other make, or has anyone experimented with a complete different sensor assembly from anything else, that without too much mods, fits into the KE tank ?

I'm planning a long trip in my KE shortly, so want to make sure the gauge reading is reliable & accurate.

Any ideas welcome. I'm sure I can come up with a bit of electronics, that will linearize the current senders non linear output, but the mechanics have to be right first up.

P.S. Has anyone purchased & tried any of the aftermarket fuel tank senders for the KE30 out of Thailand, on ebay ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad