Ke70 Manual Steering Rack

Hi everyone,

Currently upgrading my front end suspension on my 83" Ke70 corolla wagon.

I've removed my steering rack and rack ends and want to make sure i clean and re grease my rack properly before i apply the new rack ends + boots.

I just want to make sure i do it correctly to prevent any problems in future.

i was going to de-grease spray down/ wipe down thoroughly and apply new mechanical multi purpose grease and shift it from right to left so that the grease is applied throughout?

Also the rack seems like its still fine, would there be anything i should look for in particular as i move it from right to left to check for any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Members dont see this ad

I've never done this before and have zero experience on this..... i would really appreciate any sort of help from someone that has done this before or knows whats best to do while the rack is out and easy to work on.

I just received my new rack ends and everything is ready to bolt back up. I don't really want to leave that 33 year old grease in there.

Anyone?

This is the grease i purchased, assuming it is correct to use on the steering rack?

Thanks.

1935-zoom.jpg

Hello, The main thing that goes wrong with ke70 steering racks, is the left side bush gets a knock in it, as in some play. Its a hard metal sleeve type bush that relies on good grease supply to stay in good order. You cannot buy the bush any more so the best way to replace it is to have a place that does steering repairs eg BHSS in brisbane, turn up a new bush for the housing to get rid of the knock. Cost is around $300 for the work so nobody does it really. I'm lucky enough to have bought a car with a rebuilt stock rack that someone has made this investment in, and they have even added extra teeth to the rack so instead of 2.9 turns lock to lock I have about 3.4 turns lock to lock. If I can find some Power steering arms it will be an awesome setup.

You can disassemble the steering rack and re grease it all from the inside out, I have often thought of adding a grease nipple or two so I don't have to remove the rack boots to grease manually like you described.

So to conclude, you can do a number of things. To test the left bush play, pop the bonnet and hold the left tie rod end through the engine bay, then use your weight to load and unload the front end, and if it has play you will detect the end of the rack shaft bouncing up and down inside its telescopic housing. If your rack bush and rack is good, then you can just rebuild it or re grease it to whatever extent you can afford. If the rack is ruined you can buy a quaife quick rack that is 2.5 turns lock to lock from the UK, and have that fitted.

Rack ends should be stiff enough that when the rack is removed the rack end ball joint should resist drooping even with the weight of the tie rod end on its end. If the ball joint doesnt hold the weight of the arms then replace the rack end.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Thanks for the info mate,

Ill check out the left side of the rack and see if there is any play.

Rack ends were so busted that i could rotate them around with ease.

Ill just apply some new grease and slap her back in there.

can't wait to put everything back in a see how she handles.