Anyone Welded Up A Ke30 Before?

Just about to strip out my KE30 sedan for its ground up rebuild and resto, while its bare I want to weld up the chassis.

Just wondering if anyone on here has tested out the problem areas that require welding under heavy loads and long term stress, and what areas I should be looking at welding up. It will be recieving a conversion that is going to be a pretty huge change from the stock 3K-H, think modded BEAMS 3SGE Blacktop(check project topic started recently).

If it makes any difference I will be stitch welding the seams rather the just the regular full seam welds.

Regards,

Peachey

Members dont see this ad

If you are thinking of using the Corolla for Targa, forget it. The corolla is not 'desirable' enough to enter in th rally... Not even a TE37 Levin (If you could get an ex-works te27 or a replica one they' might consider it)

Also if you build a KE35 to tarmac/targa specs, then you'll need the Levin grille and bonnet, tail-lights and maybe even front guard mirrors, and the biggest engine you'll be able to put in it is a 2T-g with Carbies!!

They are very picky with their vehicle selection. I had a 'works-spec' 323 4wd turbo that was as raced int he WRC, and they wouldn't let me enter.

As for seam-welding, you'll need to strip ALL of the tar out of the shell (inside and out). Use a wire brush, turps, and a flat blade screwdriver. Its a time consuming, m*th*rf*ck*r of a job, and ALL the seams need to be super-clean, or they wont weld.

When clean, just stitch-weld along ALL seams, basically a 2-3 cm weld every 5 cms or so. Strengthen all mounting points for suspension etc with plate steel.

Redwarf would be better for advice, as I never seam-welded the shell I started to prepare.

Regarding the Targa thing, I would like to build it reasonably close to targa spec anyway and give it a go, if worst comes to worst I will be happy doing all the other events possible on the tarmac rally calander along with all the tack days I can enter etc.

Also we have recently just taken the old Mini Cooper S race car out of hiding and registered which was raced by a very close family friend who is quite well known in historic tarmac rally. The car was only raced in the only Cannonball Run and was retired after the drivers wife moved on.

Regarding the welding I know the basics but I was hoping for the specific problem areas of the corollas, possibly if anyone has had previous built race cars and tested the specific cars. I have all the equipment etc and know most of what I have to do(I'm a panel beater), and I know its not necessary to weld up the entire though.

Cheers,

Peachey