Race/drift Ae71 - Motor Options

RaceRolla

Hi,

Firstly I would like to thank the forum owners for making a great site with a wealth of knowladge about Rollas.

I have been searching through a massive amount of great info about stuff I needed to know and have now decided that I will be purchasing a AE71 sedan for use as a race/drift car for club events.

I believe this will be the best all round car for these types of events and cheap to maintain.

What I am after is some advice as to the best motor to go with. I have read about the 4A,3T&S and their advantages, but I have not come across any info as to the best for my application. I feel a 20v with a turbo will be the recommendation, but I would like a factory turbo/SC setup.

Primarily I am after a stock motor with pleanty of power, manual gearbox and availability of parts.

I have set a budget of $10k for driveline, brakes and suspension, so I feel that it is realistic to be able to buy and prep the car for events for under $15k.

I was a motor mechanic 15 years ago, so I am able to do most of the work myself, so I can keep the costs down for labour. The car will not be registered.

So can I be advised as to the best motor/gearbox for a AE71 Race/Drift car ?

Also, can you get a REALLY strong Diff (like a 2way locker) for the AE71 ?

Thanks

Mal

Members dont see this ad

Hey hey,

A factory forced induction on a 4A would be the 4AGZE. Supercharged version of the 4age but with forged internals. Here are some links that have helped me with my project.

http://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...A-GZE_specs.htm

http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/997.../Gearboxes.html

Des :)

Thanks for the reply Des,

So a 4AGZE with a W5* would be a good choice ?

Do the 20v heads fit the 4AGZE and all the SC plumbing ?

I was reading that the 20v was a bit painful to fit as you need to modify the firewall due tot he dizzy being in the way.

I am on a huge learnibg curve on these cars, there just seems to be so many choices. I have also noticed that people are puting the SR20 nissan motor in the rollas. Could this be a good alternative ?

SR20 in a ke70/ae71 would be insane in terms of power to weight, but would prob rule it out of most racing classes.

what class do you want to enter?

if it were me with 15 grand and a 71 i'd just chuck a 16v 4AG in, twin side draught carbs, big cams, front coilovers (8kilo rates) and rear springs n shocks (6kilo rate), small brake upgrade (JDM AE86 or T18 disc/caliper), rose jointed LCAs, sway bars n adj panhard rod, T18 diff with a mech 2way, neg offset 15 x 7s with semi slicks, fixed back bucket seat, some sort of sports wheel and a few extra guages to keep an eye on engine vitals

that should easily come in under 15 grand, and you'd have an immensely enjoyable car you could race or slide, and it'd be pretty reliable too.

Thanks for the reply Des,

So a 4AGZE with a W5* would be a good choice ?

Do the 20v heads fit the 4AGZE and all the SC plumbing ?

I was reading that the 20v was a bit painful to fit as you need to modify the firewall due tot he dizzy being in the way.

I am on a huge learnibg curve on these cars, there just seems to be so many choices. I have also noticed that people are puting the SR20 nissan motor in the rollas. Could this be a good alternative ?

A 4agze with a w55 would be great in a AE71 or KE70.

Its hard to supercharge or turbo a 20v effiently because of the Quad throttle bodies, I'm not saying its impossible but its hard, Id stick to a GZE and mod that with a turbo instead of a S/C.

You can put a CAS (camshaft angle sensor)in place of the distributor on a 20v to solve clearance issue's.

SR20 could be a better alternative if you want bucket loads of power. If you want to know more about a SR20 do some research and see what you come up with and have a chat to IROKIN, he has a SR20 silvia and he would be able to help you more in the engine department.

You have a F6 so you should be knowledgeable of how forced induction works.

A turbo takes time to spool up, A super charger boost's from idle to redline but takes power to run.

15k will set up a AE71 to an awesome level no matter what engine you use.

Des. :D

Edited by too quick

Thanks Des and Andrew for the replies,

I have been doing some more reading and I agree that the 4AG would be the best option as it will be a dropin fit. I do not believe in reinventing the wheel and would prefer the drop in solution.

I was looking at the T25 turbo manifold for the 4ag, as I would rather turbo than SC as the SC uses up power to run itself, when the turbo just makes power.

I know that lag is a result, but if you keep them on song, its all good. I might alo look at Motec with some antilag to overcome this issue. I must have forced induction as I just love boost :D

I would like to get a W58, but cannot find out if the trans tunnel needs to be modified, I would rather not have to worry about this. Does anyone know for sure if they fit ?

I will also be looking at a Hilux G diff with a 2 way locker and a rear disc conversion, as I want a very strong driveline.

I will investigate a good brake option as I believe that Cressida brakes fit. I was planning to go Coilovers all round to allow some flexability to the setup.

I do not plan to run in any "class" of racing, only club supersprints. I figure it will be in modified under 3lt class for these events. As for drifting, I will do the odd ID drift days as the F6 is a bit too heavy to throw around drifting.

Here is a pic from the last Eastern Creek drift day:

drifting_71.jpg

I was worried the big box would not fit. I hope the W55 will be strong enough.

Thanks for the confirmation. Is there a 2lt Toyota option for the AE71 that is a drop in installation ?

I'm 99% sure there isnt a 2lt that will just bolt in. A W55 should handle the power of a turbo 4ag but its not the power that kills boxes its the torque and shock loading ie drifting would put a shitload of stress on a box.

Get a 4agze bigport ie early AE92 4agze DLI, CAS and chuck the S/C away or sell it to me ;) and put a turbo on that. It allready has some forged internals ready for more boost :D .

If you want a 2.0lt get a 3sge from a celica and convert it to rwd or a 3sge from a altezza.

http://www.billzilla.org/AE863SGE.htm

Des :S

Leighton Fine was using a stock 4AGZE block with a T28 turbo off an SR20 in his Drift Sprinter. And while it let him down when he needed it the most (the last round os the championship) he'd been giving it curry for well over a year, in the most abusive motorsport.

he was also running a T-series rear end with a T-18rolla welded up diff.

If you're on a tight budget I'd look to this option + a metal head gasket. All you'll need then is a RWD manifold and a remapped computer. If you're smat about it you could be looking at less than $2000.

Jordan

If you're a little more adventerous, try using a Rover 3.5L V8

Edited by Jordan

Thanks for the replies,

I will be keeping it simple to begin with, and sticking with a 4ag.

Thanks for the info on the T-18, I know how to do a CIG locker, so it may be the best choice, although I would prefer a 2way locker.

Now I just need to sell my house and I can start looking for the right car.