Front Struts

alloroC

Hey all.

doing a spring replacement on my AE71.

So far the rears have been easy as but I'm having trouble figuring out on how the fronts go.

how do I remove the current spring from the strut itself?

I noticed on the strut top under a rubber cap a bolt obviously needs to be undone? (the one thats packed with grease)

help!

Jon

Members dont see this ad
Spring compressors.

Don't try and take the spring out unless its secured properly or it can do some serious damage to you. Then undo that nut.

with the springs compressed...how do I secure the strut to stop it from turning while trying to crack the nut?.

this is all done while its off the car too

how do I remove the current spring from the strut itself?

I noticed on the strut top under a rubber cap a bolt obviously needs to be undone?

If you haven't already done so, remove the strut from the car - life will be easier!

Whilst you do this, slot the brake line holder so you won't need to split the brake line next time you need to get the strut out.

You'll need spring compressors to relieve the spring pressure on the top and bottom spring seats.

once you have squished the spring enough that it no longer binds against the top and bottom plates, you can undo that nut you mentioned ... although ... you might have fun stopping the shock shaft from rotating as you attempt to undo the nut.

The top spring seat is slotted and slips onto a cut-out on the shock shaft ... the shaft and top spring seat are free to rotate against the top "hat" that bolts to the chassis in the engine bay.

You will need to stop the shock shaft from rotating to undo this nut - make sure the top seat is sitting down on the shaft (so that when you twist it, the shaft also twists) - hold the seat still whilst you turn the nut. You may need to get the seat into a vice or something if the nut resists.

I have found that "breaking the nut" whilst the strut is still in the car can be handy. Crack it and undo it a couple of turns - until you just see the thread disappear into the nut. The nut should now turn pretty easily when you need it to undo the rest of the way, whilst it's still holding onto enough of the shaft to hold the spring while you take the strut out of the car.

enjoy,

Slapper

If you haven't already done so, remove the strut from the car - life will be easier!

Whilst you do this, slot the brake line holder so you won't need to split the brake line next time you need to get the strut out.

You'll need spring compressors to relieve the spring pressure on the top and bottom spring seats.

once you have squished the spring enough that it no longer binds against the top and bottom plates, you can undo that nut you mentioned ... although ... you might have fun stopping the shock shaft from rotating as you attempt to undo the nut.

The top spring seat is slotted and slips onto a cut-out on the shock shaft ... the shaft and top spring seat are free to rotate against the top "hat" that bolts to the chassis in the engine bay.

You will need to stop the shock shaft from rotating to undo this nut - make sure the top seat is sitting down on the shaft (so that when you twist it, the shaft also twists) - hold the seat still whilst you turn the nut. You may need to get the seat into a vice or something if the nut resists.

I have found that "breaking the nut" whilst the strut is still in the car can be handy. Crack it and undo it a couple of turns - until you just see the thread disappear into the nut. The nut should now turn pretty easily when you need it to undo the rest of the way, whilst it's still holding onto enough of the shaft to hold the spring while you take the strut out of the car.

enjoy,

Slapper

friggen best response ever!

one down, one to go! :wink: