Profix Marion

Valandor

a while ago i got profix to do my air con regas. fair enuff it had to be done and the boss was paying for it $150 all up including the dye so we can see if there were any problems.

took it back for a check up and asked em to do the fuel mix and timing becuas ei couldnt be stuff.

they said they couldnt do it until i got my exhaust leak fixed, the leak was supposedly cause by a hoel in the extractors. $400 was the quote to fix it.

just took a look at it myself and fitted a new manifold gasket. what do you know problem fixed.

moral of the story. unless you want a specific service done don't use them.

as i have just saved $275 by doing it myself.

Members dont see this ad

Profix, Ultra Tune, Midas and even suspension places like Pedders are a rip-off.

Friend of mine who owns a laser was told by Ultra Tune she needed this and that done which totalled $1200.

I had a look at the car myself and they were talking shit, just because she's female. She didnt need $1200 worth of repairs done at all.

Yeh very true, i try to avoid those kind of places.

I used to use the Midas at Morphett Vale, they were good till the new owners took over, and the first time i went in after the new owners they ripped me off big time. I was too stupid to realise it at the time, coz i was so happy that someone finally told me what was wrong with my car. So i didnt realise until after that they had ripped me off price wise. Needless to say i don't go there anymore.

Mind you i find it really hard to find a good mechanic. After my last one, took 3 goes to get my motor right after the head went. Hopefully these next lot do better, and don't try ripping me off for being a female.

I use an awesome mechanic called Steve.

His workshop is called All Make Motor Repairs and Restorations. For mechanical work, he's awesome but he's really only accessible to the Northern members due to his workshop being at Para Hills West.

The other person I deal with for all my suspension work and wheel alignments is Andy of A&D Wheel Aligners, also at Para Hills West. I've been dealing with Andy as long as I've been driving (nearly 10 years now) and he's a great guy and will set up your wheel alignment to whatever specs you want.

Want more castor? He'll dial it in. Want more negative camber, he'll do that too.

Edited by Raven

Want more castor? He'll dial it in. Want more negative camber, he'll do that too.

Sounds good to me! :yak:

I have a mate who owns a 94 Galant that he took to profix to get the oxygen sensor replaced. After a thourough look :) they decided it didnt have one so decided they would give a crack at putting one in, only to blow a fuse while welding! The car wouldnt start so they charged him around $200 for a new fuel pump (because that was the problem!!) only to find that it didnt start still!! Then they told him his alarm was stuffed and got the car towed to car toys for them to have a look at it! They found that it was only a blown fuse, replaced it and walla...it started! He didnt pay the bill, and will never go back to profix and neither will I!! :D

Edited by raceflorolla

I used to get totally ripped when I took my "laser" in for servicing, I took my box of parts (which I always did), because even back then I was picky... In my box I had NGK pplugs, AGIP synthetic oil, ryco filters and I can't remember the spark plug leads, but they were special and asked for them to use those parts in my car, and I'd expected only to pay for labour. I changed mechanics and took in my box of parts, and when I picked the car up he said to me "do you always supply the parts?" me: "yes, I'm a little particular and it's easier supplying what I want rather than the workshop having to source them". He said oh, ok and showed me some crap champion plugs and said "I took these out of your car". I was FLABBERGASTED! The other workshop was keeping my parts and putting in crap! From that day forward I used that mechanic, until he moved from SA to ararrat (in VIC). By the time he moved we were really close friends, so every three months I'd drive over to Vic for him to do my car :)

When I got busy and couldn't do the trip, I changed over to Adelaide Hills Toyota who I've been pretty happy with (with only 2 exceptions).

If you find a good mechanic, stick with them :yak:

Mark Mills at MADAZ Motorsport for Sa folks ,82962282 ,Unit 13 / 937 marion rd mitchell park ,he has a 9 sec ke30 & a 10 sec ke25 both rotas , knows his stuff & is a great guy . works on my GT4 for those who know the car . NO BS with Mark :P cheers Dave

Woah, we would he want to move there for!. I was born in that hole (ararat vic) and my brother still lives there.

I used to get totally ripped when I took my "laser" in for servicing, I took my box of parts (which I always did), because even back then I was picky... In my box I had NGK pplugs, AGIP synthetic oil, ryco filters and I can't remember the spark plug leads, but they were special and asked for them to use those parts in my car, and I'd expected only to pay for labour. I changed mechanics and took in my box of parts, and when I picked the car up he said to me "do you always supply the parts?" me: "yes, I'm a little particular and it's easier supplying what I want rather than the workshop having to source them". He said oh, ok and showed me some crap champion plugs and said "I took these out of your car". I was FLABBERGASTED! The other workshop was keeping my parts and putting in crap! From that day forward I used that mechanic, until he moved from SA to ararrat (in VIC). By the time he moved we were really close friends, so every three months I'd drive over to Vic for him to do my car :P

When I got busy and couldn't do the trip, I changed over to Adelaide Hills Toyota who I've been pretty happy with (with only 2 exceptions).

If you find a good mechanic, stick with them :hmm:

• 5 weeks later...

i've used a friends dad and he's been a backyard mechanic for years ... we rebuilt my ke30 and everything mechanical either he's told me what to do and i do it or he'll do it and i'll watch so next time i can do it (given there will be a next time). i find for parts my local sprints and parts boys (aka rite price) help me out alot as long as you go in when their not busy.

the guys at sprints i find real good coz i walk in tell em or show em what my problem is and they'll give us help where they can. they also took $25 off a clutch for me cause they know how much work i've done to my car and that i keep going back to them for more parts.

just a classic example of how you need 2 find the rite people would be, i went into autopro the other day 2 get a switch and they were going 2 charge me $9 for it and i told em 2 get stuffed. i went straight to sprints picked out the exact same switch (even same brand) and they charged me $3.50 for it.

guess the morale is shop around a bit 2 get the cheapest prices then stick with them and show your face often so they get to know you