Ke10 Coil...external Resistor Or Not?

Hi guys...new here. My question is for a 1969 KE10. I have been driving my 69 for 20 years now and it seems I have never had a real strong spark. The car runs fine, it will smoke 1st, good chirp from second thru fourth but when I watch the spark it is kinda yellow instead of a nice blue. It had a bosch coil with no external resistor when I bought it and I have never used anything else. No...i did try a "supercoil" once but it just burned my points really quick. Anyway...it looks to me like the original style coil had an external resistor....do I need to find one?

1969 Corolla KE10-313802

slight upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 (the 1.1 seemed stronger?)

72 front discs

13in wheels

2 2-1 headers with dual exhaust (made em myself)

tractions bars (first gear used to hop pretty good on take off)

Ticketed in 1995 for 131mph (bad day...trying to blow it up...just popped the radiator...did they confuse 113mph with 131mph...don't know, speedo only goes to 100.)

My 69's favorite meal: low slung Hondas with obnoxious exhaust. (you just can't race city streets in a low rider...duh...train tracks, speed bumps, potholes)

post-3326-1175696358.jpgpost-3326-1175695569_thumb.jpgpost-3326-1175696076.jpg

post-3326-1175696196_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
MAte i don't remember ever seeing a resisitor coil on a 69 KE10,but if you needed to add one to an AFTERMARKET coil then it would have to be an external job on the coil.

The coil you want to use WILL tell you whether or not to use a resistor.

What could be causing weak spark? New wiring everywhere, new battery, new coil, new points, cap & condensor, plugs etc.

From my recolection of coils it's only there as a ballast resistor to keep the correct voltage during operation (i think) dropping to 9v from the 12v supply.

This also ties back to is it a 9V coil you have or a 12V one? If you have changed coils over and added or removed the resistor you would need to check if the coil actually needs one.

From my recolection of coils it's only there as a ballast resistor to keep the correct voltage during operation (i think) dropping to 9v from the 12v supply.

This also ties back to is it a 9V coil you have or a 12V one? If you have changed coils over and added or removed the resistor you would need to check if the coil actually needs one.

It's a 12v...the wiring diagrams in my very worn out Haynes manual do not show an external resistor...so I really don't know.

I have added a heavier gauge Pos. Battery cable...heavier gauge wire from ignition to coil, coil to distributor, NGK plug wires...Still yellow spark.

The biggest problem with maintaing a good spark is you need excellent earths. Check where the earth strap goes from your block to the body. Make sure it is not bolted to a painted surface. Don't just use the threaded bolt to earth, clear away around the terminal so it bolts to bare metal.

Check where the -ve battery is bolted to the body and make sure all is clean and bolts to bare metal. This might not sound like much but it's where all problems tend to start from. All seems to work but not as good as it could.

Maybe barking up the wrong tree but just a check.

DMC

The biggest problem with maintaing a good spark is you need excellent earths. Check where the earth strap goes from your block to the body. Make sure it is not bolted to a painted surface. Don't just use the threaded bolt to earth, clear away around the terminal so it bolts to bare metal.

Check where the -ve battery is bolted to the body and make sure all is clean and bolts to bare metal. This might not sound like much but it's where all problems tend to start from. All seems to work but not as good as it could.

Maybe barking up the wrong tree but just a check.

DMC

I'll check and clean em all...worth a try...I wont know for a while, I'm in the middle of a rebuild and discovered my block to be trash. Probably be about two weeks...man, the 1.2's seem to be hard to come by but I found a guy in Washington who is swapping a 1.2 for a 3tc and will send me his block. Thanks!