Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My New Ae71

Featured Replies

  • Author

I don't mind putting the $40 on the table.

or one thats legal for that class, lets see how he goes then!! stock gemini my arse, you hear that thing under noise??

 

Bit of a gray area exactly what mods are allowed. Type 1 is definitely show room stock, but Type 2 allows a reasonable amount of mods - so there is a pretty wide range in Type 1/2. In Type 2 I think you can work the engine pretty thoroughly (but no increase in capacity except for purposes of recon...), exhaust is free but inlet/carby/EFI has to be stock (that is the limiting factor on the engine mods basically), suspension is free as long as pickup points don't change (and no coilovers) and sway bars are fine. No LSD if they didn't come delivered with one in Australia, etc. Brakes must be standard but pad material is free. You get the idea, core components standard but tweaks allowed in many areas.

 

Martin has been challenged on it before (fairly often I believe, not surprisingly) - and he was club champion a few years ago in the same car - so I'd say he has just pushed the limits of Type 2 right to the edge. As you may be able to tell I like Martin, he's given me heaps of valuable advice and has always been very friendly. But I'm determined to beat that bloody Gem...

 

But that's OK - we'll just race amongst ourselves and have the Rolla Club Challenge.

 

Now Brett - was that $40 on the table about the Gem being stock or you being the initial Champion? :jamie:

  • Author

Is the Gem running class 1 or class 2? I will be running class 1 to start with as it will be a stock AE71 at first (just with some alloys, may even end up as stock alloys) and if he has done things to his car and running class 1 then I will put the $40 on the table. If he is in Class 2 then I don't have an issue as long as it meets Class 2 rules and I will do what I can to the rolla to knock off that dirty Gemini.

 

Need to get a copy of the regs etc. so I know what I can and can not do.

For SDMA (and most clubs these days) Type 1 & 2 is combined. Regs are...vague. See here: Categories & Classes.

 

Other bigger clubs use slightly more strict rules along the lines of the NSW Supersprint regs: NSW Supersprint Vehicle Type Regs

 

But for us in SDMA in Type 1/2 it is:

 

Standard Road cars or road cars with minimal modifications fall into the category of Type 1/2 using standard type road tyres and full interior trim. Tyre and wheel sizes may be change provided they fit within the standard guards with appropriate clearances.

 

Change the carburetor, put "R" type tyres (or any specialist road/race tyres) on or add a roll cage (loop, half or full) and you will put the car into Type 3 – this class allows more modifications than Type 1/2. In this Type you need only one seat but must have interior trim.

Edited by Toddski

  • Author

Ok, so I do a recon on the 4A and due to the recon increase its capacity a little but still call it a 1600 and add a stage 3 cam a nice race tuned exhaust system and go to the max in suspension without going to coilovers (can get a custom set from QLD to suit the AE71 that is almost as good as billy coilovers). Do the sway bar and a few tweaks here and there and blow that dirty Gem away. :y:

 

Just makes the entry level class that I guess is there in the first place to get people into Hill Climb open to he who has the bigger budget wins class just like the other classes. Not really that good for getting people into the sport is it, but guess it has worked for them even if it could work better.

 

But hey as said we can have a rolla club challenge, rolla series and rolla cup and stuff like that. Maybe we can get Martin to buy a rolla when he sees we have more prizes and fun just for playing behind him on the track :jamie:

Edited by Trendact

Not sure how long ago Type 1/2 was combined, it was run seperately but I guess there just weren't enough entries.

 

I'm not fussed, we're not playing for sheep stations here. As long as I get to drive fast legally, I'm happy. It is huuuuuuge fun, cannot recommend it highly enough. I never really thought of myself as a competitive person, but after my first run and totally garbage time (and this was in a tarmac rally 12A PP RX7 - so driver's fault not cars) I was HOOKED and said to myself "I can do way better than that" and month after month I have been. I get a massive charge out of beating my previous meets time - that to me is the challenge, beating my previous best every month. The great thing too is the amount of encouragement you get when you're a rookie - the people were fantastic at my first race and all the positive comments I got really spurred me on.

 

I'm enjoying getting slowly closer to Martin's times, and the challenge is doing it on a budget. As far as I'm aware, Martin's car has been done on a budget as well, he's done nearly all the work and the car has evolved over many years. And he can drive - I'd love to see him have a go in the Waterhouse MX5 that currently holds the Type 1/2 0-1600cc record. Remember there are plenty of people out there who throw large amounts of money at cars and still can't drive. Or like me, small amounts and can't drive. :jamie:

 

If I were you Brett, I'd just drop in the working engine and take it out there and run it. When your times start to be consistent (or if the car feels really bad at speed around a corner), make a mod and see if the times improve. Half the fun is making tweaks and seeing if there is any change. I got a pleasant surprise last meet when I did a basic engine service (plugs, leads, K&N Filter, upper head cleaner and injector cleaner) and knocked a whole second off my time.

 

I like the idea of the Rolla Club challenge - it'll add some more fun to it.

 

Grassroots motorsport - is there anything better?

 

Do I sound somewhat obssessed... :y:

  • Author

That's what is planed, working engine in old one out for a rebuild and cam. Car will be stock for now but will be built up to something good that with time and practise I can knock off that dirty Gemini.

 

I think the club challange idea may just need to happen :hmm:

 

And yes you sound somewhat obssessed but hey its motorsport and I am a little obssessed with some forms of motorsport as well :S

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

No will not be there and Thomo also will not be there.

No will not be there and Thomo also will not be there.

 

Doh! That's a big shame. You have PM.

Edited by Toddski

No will not be there and Thomo also will not be there.

 

 

what happened?

 

paul

  • Author

Thomo has his girls so he will be doing his daddy duties and I did not get the car ready in time and have just got to much on my plate this week.

So Thomo has a good excuse, but I'm not seeing yours :cool:

hahaha I know Marty well and that Gemini hurls... awesome little car.

 

how did u guys go?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.