Rear Projection Help Needed

Des

Hello,

My parents bought a rear projection tv a year or so ago and its out of warranty, Colours are off as in they don't align up right.

See

27-08-07_2113.jpg

Now a tv repair dude told me its f@$ked and dad threw him out coz he offered $60 for the tv.

I have adjusted the colours a bit but i need more adjustment to get it right, I'm about 6cm away from getting it perfect.

Any suggestions or ways around it ?

Des :D

mmmm party lights

28-08-07_1816.jpg

Members dont see this ad

I would be chasing up the manufacturer about this. 13 months is techincally outside the warranty period but ALL items have an implied warranty and most companies will still look after you on this. If the company wont pay the full repair they are by law required to pay a pro rata of it. Might be a little different if you have tried a handyman on it, but tighten the screws and put some sticky tape on it and it will look like new :D

I will give you an example of this. I use to work for motorline volvo (back a few years ago) and a guy came back with a volvo that was 9 years old. Way outside factory warranty, but it needed a new engine because the turbo kept on blowing or some crap. To cut a long story short, he took motorline to court and they had to replace his motor, turbo and fit it all at no charge. See volvo advertises themselves as " volvo, for life " . It imples the vehicle will last you for life.

To explain, companies put a warranty on items. This warrany isnt hard and fast 12 months or whatever they state. There is always a certain amount of lee way for claims where they are still responsible for repairs. Look up or talk to Fair Trading about it and they can clue you in a bit more about it.

Tabbys other Half

Glen

Rear projection TV's suck. My sister paid a afir bit for hers. While it was in warrenty he had the bulb changed several times. Then once out of warently the screen turned blue. Tho she put it in storage when she moved and when she turned it back on it was okay... for an hour, then got worse.

As for the offer of $60, he probably knows what it'd take to fix it cheap and sell it off for a few grand.

I would be chasing up the manufacturer about this. 13 months is technically outside the warranty period but ALL items have an implied warranty and most companies will still look after you on this. If the company wont pay the full repair they are by law required to pay a pro rata of it. Might be a little different if you have tried a handyman on it, but tighten the screws and put some sticky tape on it and it will look like new :lol:

I will give you an example of this. I use to work for motorline volvo (back a few years ago) and a guy came back with a volvo that was 9 years old. Way outside factory warranty, but it needed a new engine because the turbo kept on blowing or some crap. To cut a long story short, he took motorline to court and they had to replace his motor, turbo and fit it all at no charge. See volvo advertises themselves as " volvo, for life " . It imples the vehicle will last you for life.

To explain, companies put a warranty on items. This warranty isn't hard and fast 12 months or whatever they state. There is always a certain amount of lee way for claims where they are still responsible for repairs. Look up or talk to Fair Trading about it and they can clue you in a bit more about it.

Tabbys other Half

Glen

Too late now but we will keep that in mind for the new tv, I like plasma screens and surround sound. :cool:

Rear projection TV's suck. My sister paid a afir bit for hers. While it was in warranty he had the bulb changed several times. Then once out of warranty the screen turned blue. Tho she put it in storage when she moved and when she turned it back on it was okay... for an hour, then got worse.

As for the offer of $60, he probably knows what it'd take to fix it cheap and sell it off for a few grand.

Rear projection tv's have the best quality just they arnt reliable, Ours still work just the colours were way out and i got them a bit closer but there wasn't any more adjustment in it, Its now in the trailer ready to go to the tip.

Unfortunately the colour replacements for rear-pro's are a bit expensive and on the tricky side to change. Getting the convergence right when replacing the coloured liquid is also a pain. There may also be a gel type 'coolant' which is meant to keep things cool which can leak, it can cause more problems if allowed to leak on any circuitry.

Personally, i've never liked CRT rearpro's due to their picture quality and servicing.

Having said that, I own a Sony Bravia 3LCD rearpro. Picture is exceptionally good for the price ($1200 for 42") and by all reports i wouldn't expect to see alot of trouble (other than the lamp).

Large expensive goods should have a reasonable service life comparable to it's initial cost (An implied warranty) Therefore it is a reasonable expectation that an expensive television should last longer than 1-2-3 years, any longer then it gets harder to negotiate due to wear/tear usage. You could still try it on with the manufacturer and drop a few 'i was advised by Office of Fair Trading' lines.

Unfortunately the colour replacements for rear-pro's are a bit expensive and on the tricky side to change. Getting the convergence right when replacing the coloured liquid is also a pain. There may also be a gel type 'coolant' which is meant to keep things cool which can leak, it can cause more problems if allowed to leak on any circuitry.

Personally, i've never liked CRT rearpro's due to their picture quality and servicing.

Having said that, I own a Sony Bravia 3LCD rearpro. Picture is exceptionally good for the price ($1200 for 42") and by all reports i wouldn't expect to see alot of trouble (other than the lamp).

Large expensive goods should have a reasonable service life comparable to it's initial cost (An implied warranty) Therefore it is a reasonable expectation that an expensive television should last longer than 1-2-3 years, any longer then it gets harder to negotiate due to wear/tear usage. You could still try it on with the manufacturer and drop a few 'i was advised by Office of Fair Trading' lines.

New tv and surround sound shit has 5 year warranty :D

The fluid in the tv was clear and had a slight smell to it and it wouldn't dry up, Poured some on the concrete out the front and its been there for 6 days now and hasn't dried up at all.