Diff Center - Swapping Gears

demuire

I just changed my diff. I replace the whole rear axel (wasn't keen on setting the preload and all that).

Had a winding noise in the diff before. When I took it out, it had grindy wheel bearings, and a rough noise coming from the crown wheel and pinon.

The new one turns pretty smooth when I rotated it at the companion flang. But when I rotate it, it turns a bit before the axels starts to turn, like there is a little bit of slack.

When driving its all fairly quiet, but there is a clunk sound when I start off, or when I'm changing through gears, and sometimes when deaccelerating.

Seems like a minor thing, but it is noticeable. Does anyone know what this, and how to fix it?

Bruce

Members dont see this ad

That is the slack that you felt when the diff started to turn a few seconds before the axles.

These diffs are 20+ Years old....You would be hard pressed to find one anywhere that doesn't have some sort of wear and tear, the only way you will get one with nothing wrong, is to get one rebuilt, failing that, just deal with the little problems they have.