Ae71 Ignition Problem

AE71_ROLLA

AE71 Corolla sedan 4AC, have problem with ignition i drive along and it dies like then i turn the key towards the on position and it comes back to life but let go of the key and she drops most of the time but sometimes i am pretty lucky. but i hate driving holding the key! i have changed barrel and new key and also changed the electronic rotary switch on the back of the ignition and still the same problem, any ideas and it feels like it sometimes missing a little but not as if its completely misfiring!

any help would be awesome

Members dont see this ad

your key should always to turned to the on position..?? or do you mean it stalls and you have to crank it to start it again?

you may just have to adjust the idle screw on the carb as it maybe a little low?

the 4ac engine has a tendancey to have problems idling with old buggered standard carby's i have not had one (out of a few motors) that has worked correctly.

please give more info not 100% clear on exactly what the problem is..???

What happens u drive along and the rpm drops and nothing but you turn the key a little towards the ON position and it continues the u let go of the key and the rpm drops but as soon as u turn the key it works, everything else works like stereo and lights and stuff just the RPM so we replaced the key and barrel and also the electronic module on the back of the barrel and thats it, is there anything else i could try as it seems to be something like a loose wire or some volts dropping or something?? anything else i can look at as i can't stand holding the key whist driving, also when u let go of the key sometimes after u turn it towards the ON position it stays on the after a while RPM will drop but everything else works!

no i don't have a huge keyring LOL, its just when u hold the key towards on but not to start it goes as soon as u let the key off the revs drop to nothing and then the car comes down from speed and stops! if u have enough pace u turn the keyt a little bit and off it goes again! so i have no idea but i am going to check all the points and stuff tonight and look for wires!

so any help would be awesome

i have replaced the tail and barrell! and when i replaced the tail it did it worked for a couple of days now its just doing it again, it will idle sometimes and then not and some times u turn the key a few times quickly and then it will idle for a little bit or sometimes not at all!

its a really intermittent fault! i have a spare coil which i may try and see what happens but if nothing i am going to take it to an Auto electrician and see what he can find!

Basically what happens is the car does what it would do if you drive along and turn your key from ON to ACC but it does it automatically! and then once you turn the key back towards ON a little bit it works and then dies straight away! its soo freaking annoying! taking it down for someone to have a look at today!

Buying a new toyota switch with contacts and such as the auto electrician said that it could be the only this possible as ur turing the key to a certain point and its touching the contacts, so i will just buy a new genuine one which should be here tomorrow and will keep you informed with what is happening!

Think i may have solved the problem i think the wire that is in the points that goes from top to bottom has been arcing out and causing this issue, but i still will replace the ignition switch and also this wire! i have heard noises arcing out when it was running not like the normal quite noise that it made and when i pulled it apart it broke straight away and was all torn and tattered so ill keep you informed!