Lifter Conversion

Rasta_rolla

Hi,

I want to convert the lifters in my 5k from hydrualic to solid and i have no idea how to do this myslef so i thought i would leave it to a pro. Does anyone know of or could recomend a place to get this conversion done? cost?

Are the solid lifter's out of the landcruiser 3F??? motor mentioned in the knowledge base/FAQ readily available and has anyone used them before?

Any info on the subject appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

Members dont see this ad
Hi,

I want to convert the lifters in my 5k from hydrualic to solid and i have no idea how to do this myslef so i thought i would leave it to a pro. Does anyone know of or could recomend a place to get this conversion done? cost?

Are the solid lifter's out of the landcruiser 3F??? motor mentioned in the knowledge base/FAQ readily available and has anyone used them before?

Any info on the subject appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy

why not just use the 202 solid lifters, id imagine they'd be easier to find... don't know how hard it would be to find datto 1200 pushrods though...

if the 3F ones are better/use stock pushrods please let me know

cheers,

rob

Don't bother.

Just tell the cam regrinders you are using hydraulic lifters, and they will grind to suit. You need to get the base of the rocker pedestals ground down to account for the reduction in base circle diameter when the cam is reground.

Don't bother.

Just tell the cam regrinders you are using hydraulic lifters, and they will grind to suit. You need to get the base of the rocker pedestals ground down to account for the reduction in base circle diameter when the cam is reground.

ie .040 extra lift = grind the rocker posts down .040??

Not quite. Your machinist should be able to work it out for you.

When a cam is reground they reduce the diameter of the base circle to be able to gain more lift and duration. You need to skim the base of the rocker pedestals by the reduction in the radius of the base circle. (remember radius = 1/2 of diameter)

If you do this lifter preload will remain the same. If you don't you will lose lifter preload.

Another thing to take into account is head skimming. If you get the head skimmed to up compression, lifter preload increases.

reduction in radius of base circle MINUS amount skimmed from head EQUALS amount to be skimmed off base of rocker pedestals.

Don't bother.

This is an option for small peformance grinds but if you want any real big sticks then I would suggest the solid conversion.

Holden Solid lifters and A12 pushrods (yes i have a spare set,not you can't have them).

Matt

Waggot cams do up to 300 degs duration with .492" lift for hydraulic liftered 5k's... Not exactly small.

Yeah i understand you can get whatever size hydraulic you want ,BUT i reckon that you are better of with a solid when going big cams which result in high RPM applications.

Hydraulic lifters don't give as good high RPM power durability due to lifter bleeding and pumping up.

Matt