Can I Put A Short Shift In My Ae92?

MukaRounD^^.aU

Hello, I'm a newbie to the whole cars scene, well relatively, i owned a prelude before i purchased this corolla.

i just purchased this short shifter, cause i thought that it would be easier to shift gears in, cuz currenty

when i chuck it in second, it gets stuck before getting in, and its really annoying, makes me look stupid

soo i purchased this short shifter off ebay, and i want to know if it would make it easier to shift gears in, my

current shifter has been cut, to be shorter, but i thought short shifters are able to make changing gears

50% more easier or something. i really should of asked here before purchasing it... :lol:

Members dont see this ad
Hello, I'm a newbie to the whole cars scene, well relatively, i owned a prelude before i purchased this corolla.

i just purchased this short shifter, cause i thought that it would be easier to shift gears in, cuz currenty

when i chuck it in second, it gets stuck before getting in, and its really annoying, makes me look stupid

soo i purchased this short shifter off ebay, and i want to know if it would make it easier to shift gears in, my

current shifter has been cut, to be shorter, but i thought short shifters are able to make changing gears

50% more easier or something. i really should of asked here before purchasing it... :P:

If you look at it purely from a physics point of view (year 10) then you have actually reduced the length of a lever and hence made it more difficult/requiring more effort to do the same job. So put simply it will be more difficult. Having stated that it also means that any slop in the selector has reduced slightly because of this as well so the possibility of shifting correctly is higher. It will not solve worn syncro issues as this is a box thing. may I suggest that you try double clutching and see whether this improves your shift quality.... :lol:

Cheers

Yep, short shifters make the throw of the shifter smaller, i.e. a shorter shift! If you can't get it in gear easily then that's a whole different problem, and a short shifter will probably make it worse.

I'd be putting fresh oil in the box, and checking for play in the shift linkages. I don't know if the AE92 is cable or linkage, but probably cable.

Check the cables run freely, and there is no binding in the levers on the box. If there is, then it probably is synchros!