20v Problem

ae20v

hi guys new to rolla club don't know much about 20v's heres my story.I got a corolla ae82 twin cam with a 20v silver top runs drives perfectily

exept after it warms up if i give it a hit into the high rpms when i pull up the idle will be very ruff, low and alover the place

but if i switch off the car and turn it back on it is fine? also a bit hard to start in the morning and cuts out at 7200rp/m.

any help will be apreciated the poor thing has been runing like this since i bought it afew months ago.

also forgot its runing stock ecu

Edited by ae20v

Members dont see this ad
also forgot its runing stock ecu

Could just be the the ecu, i mean thats something that should of been replaced with a 20v ecu when u had the conversion done. Might be able to pick one up frmo just-japs or something, cause yea the ecu can have weird effects on the mechanical side of the car if its running just a 4age ecu on a 20v twincam, i don't know if it could have major issues, because they both twincam 4a's, but yea i would get that replaced. Cause when i bought my 20v off my mate, he just bought the frontcut off a ae111, and that has the ecu n all that, n jst got his mechanic to put it in and yea, runs good ;)

Could just be the the ecu, i mean thats something that should of been replaced with a 20v ecu when u had the conversion done. Might be able to pick one up frmo just-japs or something, cause yea the ecu can have weird effects on the mechanical side of the car if its running just a 4age ecu on a 20v twincam, i don't know if it could have major issues, because they both twincam 4a's, but yea i would get that replaced. Cause when i bought my 20v off my mate, he just bought the frontcut off a ae111, and that has the ecu n all that, n jst got his mechanic to put it in and yea, runs good :dance:

I dare say he means standard ecu for the 20v. Thats what I get from it.

Go see a mechanic with the proper equipment to plug in and talk to the ecu. Hell tell you whats wrong with it. Probably just a bung sensor, broken wire, failed connection somewhere and the ecu manages without the information by clipping performance to safe levels. Lower rev limits, touch richer that type of thing.

Maybe start with a physical analysis of the motor, are all the sensors installed and connected? No split or missing vacuum hoses? Have a look at the air flow meter. Is it intact, they are very sensitive items?

If you don't know what any of the above terms mean, google it. Wiki has loads of general info about how efi systems work.