Ke70 Battery?

zilli

Hey fellas,

Over the last month ive been noticing that once in a while the car doesn't start easily, and struggles to turn over indicating battery charge issues.... it happens at random times, not just when it hasn't been driven in a while.

It gets probably at the most 50kms a week drive time, and most of the time it gets cruised very gently (i'm in fuel miser mode)... tonight as i went to leave the house it barely started, and i hit traffic, where it was basically idling for 15 minutes in stop start very slow traffic... i went to start it 4 hours later and it would barely turn over, and didn't start. I jumped it and it started fine. Gave it a spirited drive home to get some charge in the battery and its fine now...

I have also noticed its a tiny battery, smaller than the cradle, is this normal? Is my battery shot, and the fact that I'm not really putting the boot into it at all, not getting enough charge in the battery to last? or is the battery just not holding charge. i realise these are vague questions which could be eliminated by getting the appropriate tests, but I'm after some opinions and logic before i go and buy a new battery tommorrow...

Cheers

Members dont see this ad
Hey fellas,

Over the last month ive been noticing that once in a while the car doesn't start easily, and struggles to turn over indicating battery charge issues.... it happens at random times, not just when it hasn't been driven in a while.

It gets probably at the most 50kms a week drive time, and most of the time it gets cruised very gently (i'm in fuel miser mode)... tonight as i went to leave the house it barely started, and i hit traffic, where it was basically idling for 15 minutes in stop start very slow traffic... i went to start it 4 hours later and it would barely turn over, and didn't start. I jumped it and it started fine. Gave it a spirited drive home to get some charge in the battery and its fine now...

I have also noticed its a tiny battery, smaller than the cradle, is this normal? Is my battery shot, and the fact that I'm not really putting the boot into it at all, not getting enough charge in the battery to last? or is the battery just not holding charge. i realise these are vague questions which could be eliminated by getting the appropriate tests, but I'm after some opinions and logic before i go and buy a new battery tommorrow...

Cheers

OK in reality alternators only work above about 1800rpm and above properly. at idle they are "working" but will not be able to supply enough current to support their maximum output. so even at 60km/h you should be charging no problems. Your Battery is a storage device and thus will store charge if the battery is not in good condition then it will not store energy efficently. However, you mentioned that the car works sometimes but not others and this would seem potentially not to bet the battery. I would be testing the battery and its cells and also clean the terminals and clamps and then insulate with vaselene. this will insure that the connections here are in good order. I would also be checking your engine ground and also your chassis ground, if these are not in good order then you will have issue. Buying a battery is a expensive "check" if it proves not to be the problem...

Cheers

i suppose the thing that makes me lean too battery is that last night it wouldnt start, then i jumped it and it started fine... no other changes to anything, but you do make some very valid points

Unfortunately a jump start is not really a good diagnostics tool. This can actually hide the true problem.

Cheers