4k Troubles

K. Sev

hey, i have a ke70 (flat front) don't know what year rolla,

I have engine troubles that i can't really work out.

1. starting the car is pretty hard at best, the starter solenoid clicks when you turn the ignition,

but no turn over, then after a few turns it will eventually turn over like nothings wrong. the battery is fine, it has been checked, Ive had three starters in it, the current is also fine. the electrical circuit between the battery and the starter is holding correct current, no breakdown in power. the battery terminals have been changed and cleaned. i have changed the ignition, battery, starter, battery wiring. it also runs a gt40 that i havent changed yet.

2. the distributor is smaller in diameter to my (defected) parts ke slant front, and my mates slant front? does the flat front ke have a different dizzy? or has it been changed into the car from an older model?

3.the car stalls when i pull up at the lights/ change down gears. i have put on my spare carby and it appears to be fine, but ive only driven home in it and it is an intermittent problem, so I'm not even sure thats fixed.

when i bought the car it had everything under the bonnet, pissed about with, no emmisions, bad fuel set up, wrong radiator cable tied in, missing part in general. ive put everything back in from my stocker defect. but i still have these issues.

Sorry the post is so long but i can't work out these problems and any info on any of this stuff would be much appreciated.

cheers,

Members dont see this ad

Could be a '83. A part from that i don't really know the '70's much

1 - Whats the ring gear on the flywheel like ? At times that can stop the starter motor from working. The gears could even be meshing wrongly too.

What the solenoid like ? Could even try with adding a rely into the starter wiring - ask Medicine_Man how to do it.

2 - The old K motors came with a few different sized dizzys. I think the later versions used a bigger sized one due to the emission blah blahs

3- It sounds like an air leak - loose bolts at a guess. Possibly on the manifold to head. A part from that did you use a new gasket on the carby or just reuse the old one ?

Also whats the timing like ? That can have a bearing on engine stalling as well as the fuel mixture screw being too lean.

4 - Have dig through the forum a bit and if you can find anything. www.ke70.com might help a bit as well

Edited by towe001

the current starter in the car is the third one, if i was on the first or second starter i would question the solenoids ability. three starters with the same problem would be very coincidental. stranger things have happened.

according to the gregorys book, theres a relay in the starter circuit. that i have yet to come across/check/change

would a smaller dizzy affect the spark or timing control of the motor?

also all bolts were check tightened, with gaskets changed

the car runs like a dog... with the new carby on the idle is fairly low, the timing is all over the place, but has only stalled once. the idle is pretty low tho. on idle it sounds like my old gem with a stage three cam. overkill but without the cam.

cheers for the replies,

Nar i don't believe the timing or such would be affected. But i'd say if the timings all over the shop i'd reckon the bushes are worn. Either that or pull the cam chain cover off and see how slack the chain is.

You could even have a leak in the vacuum line that runs from the carby to the dizzy.

See if you can get yourself a vacuum gauge and hook that up and see what the go is

http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=ad&aid=48