Ae92 20v Conversion

51MMO

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Are the engine mounts going to sit flush when the 20v is dropped in? Will it be easier to take the gear box off first or leave it on and angle it in?

I'm putting a 20v silver top in my AE82 and i have no idea wtf I'm doing but I'm keen to get it on the mounts then sending it off to the mechanic to get rigged up.

Any info on the mounts and gear box placment would be much appreciated

Much easier to drop the motor in the top and then the gearbox from the bottom...

Angle will be too much with it all attached...

I had 2 AE92's with 20V's and both standard drivers side mounts seemed to be modified to suit the bracket on the 20V block...

Much easier to drop the motor in the top and then the gearbox from the bottom...

Angle will be too much with it all attached...

I had 2 AE92's with 20V's and both standard drivers side mounts seemed to be modified to suit the bracket on the 20V block...

Ok, yeah I was thinking to drop it in first then put the box in from underneath second. So the mounts stay the same on the engine and gearbox? Just the drivers side mount needs to be modified. How is it modified (bent, drilled, thinned, made smaller?)

Anyway did they go hard in the AE92, I'm choosing to go with the SILVERTOP and its going into a carbied engine bay will i need to mod the bay to suit the air filter and loose things that might be hanging around?

Thanks heaps

Was trying to find a photo but don't have anything to show you...

The standard mount seemed to be cut shorter where it bolts onto the engine brackets...

Best thing would be to try and drop the motor in with the standard mounts and see how you go... The one I had may have just been a dodgy conversion...

To be honest it didn't feel anything special, I still think my 16V 4AGE goes harder lol...

You'll definately feel a difference between the 4AFC and the 20V tho...

You shouldn't need to modify the engine bay at all, most of the holes are there on all models for the airbox and other accessories...

You will however need to get an EFI Fuel Tank, Fuel Lines and Fuel Filter, Charcoal Canister, Fuse Boxes and anything else EFI related as it's all different to the carby setup...

Ok, Drop it in and size the mount up will be the go. I'm getting a half cut no matter what, so alls ill need is the tank and fuel lines?

Will everything just need to be put in the same spot it came from?

I'm going to take pics and shit just so its alittle more easier for the next fella. I was hell keen on getting the 4AGZE just untill I seen the 20v

silvertop it looks cleaner and I'm leaning towards putting a supercharger on it anyway.

Did you ever do a 0-60kmph test with the 4AGE in?

Never done any time testing, just felt that way when I was driving...

Prolly just a sus motor but who knows...

Pretty much everything should drop into the same place you pulled it from... Airbox and Battery may be a little off but nothing some cable ties and modified battery brace can't fix :) ...

The 20V is definately a better looking motor than the ZE, especially with some Billet trumpets in place of the inlet casing...

Thanks heaps aye, are the tank and fuel lines the only things needed if I'm getting the front cut?

When i get the engine should i put a different water pump on it? I want to replace all the belts and shit like that before the engine is mounted.

I was looking at some ZE engines in comparision to 20v's and they also seem easier to work on with the room in the engine bay.

• 2 weeks later...
what are you getting ST or BT?

I already have a ST, sitting there waiting for me to replace the timing belt and water pump. I haven't got the black plastic from between the airbox and what you normally call the throttle body. Can I just use the one off my small port or do i need the silvertop specific one?