Changing Headgasket

p0rt

Out of curiousity, whats the difference between a 4K and a 4K-C motor?

i took some pics of the block and the head after removal, it seems some water jackets on block arent on the head, maybe its off a different rolla engine, ill post the pics up this evening, my poor laptop is getting oil'd and greased, as i type :yes:

the C on the end of 4K-C just means its running/built to Californian emmision standards

Members dont see this ad

valve clearnce is easy

the intake for ur 4k is 0.25 and the exhaust is 0.3

the you need a feeler gauge to do it

the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 start make sure that the piston is top dead center when you do the valve so for instance you would take out the first spark plug and look with torch and crank till top dead center then undo bolt put feeler gauge in the tighten unto you feel the feeler gauge pulling then take out n tighten bolt then check it again then do the exhaust valve

thanks myles..

hope it helps

Yeah cheers myles, we done it what we believed to be correct and it sounded like a subaru with the power of a lawnmower

Re-checked it all after 30mins of debating what the hell went wrong, and it now turns over perfectly.

Somewhere along this learning curve today my battery decided it wanted to give up the ghost and die, alternator doesnt seem to want to charge it, not sure if its my doing.. but car runs alot better now, new headgasket and points, does a world of good

The previous gasket was leaking from water galleries and allowing water to pass into cylinders 1 & 4, guessed asmuch as it was using water far too much, seems to be fixed now:)

Some pics of todays activities, just engine shots..

img0564ge2.th.jpgimg0565wc4.th.jpgimg0566na6.th.jpg

Yeah cheers myles, we done it what we believed to be correct and it sounded like a subaru with the power of a lawnmower

Re-checked it all after 30mins of debating what the hell went wrong, and it now turns over perfectly.

Somewhere along this learning curve today my battery decided it wanted to give up the ghost and die, alternator doesnt seem to want to charge it, not sure if its my doing.. but car runs alot better now, new headgasket and points, does a world of good

The previous gasket was leaking from water galleries and allowing water to pass into cylinders 1 & 4, guessed asmuch as it was using water far too much, seems to be fixed now:)

It was probably running bad because it had some gunk under a valve.