Philbeys Yamaha Xs650 Custom Motorbike

philbey

I thought I'd post up my other project at the moment - Custom XS650 Yamaha Bobber. But first, let me tell a Story......

2006, I was walking through Sydney Airport and spotted a Deus Ex Machina TW200, flat black, in a window display, much like this one:

gallery_2873_162_9831.jpg

Always ridden Ning-Nings off road as a young delinquent, but never got bitten by the bug, although my old man foams at the mouth about bikes. This thing looked mean, so I googled Deus and it led me to this thing that Deus were selling at the time (at 20k I couldn't afford):

sydfullpop.jpg

Triumph Bonneville custom bobber. I started reading up a bit, chasing pics of custom Triumphs and BSA's on the interweb and eventually started reading DicE magazine. For the last couple of years I've watched Ebay keeping an eye out for a cheap triumph to customise, with little success. Basket-cases are hard to come by, and I don't want to slice up a restored or original condition item. Yet. Not only that, but they are pulling top dollar.

I eventually came across the Yamaha XS60, a Jap ripoff of the 60's triumphs twins. Although the XS650's are much more reliable, simple, electric start etc, the traditionalists aren't big fans. I saw them as a good cheap alternative to built my skills and learn about bikes without butchering an expensive classic.

Edited by philbey

Members dont see this ad

Scored a bike off Ebay back in December - we'll 7 boxes of bits makes about 0.85 of a bike. The original XS650 frame had the swingarm rear end sliced off ready for a hardtail, one motor (on the right) was partially assembled with a fresh build, then there is a second motor in pieces. Missing front end, wheels and brakes, but $622 was a good price:

gallery_2873_162_14246.jpg

I haven't done a whole lot given that I'm gunning to get the rolla going first, but last week I took posession of a TC Brothers weld on hardtail, about 450 Australian delivered from the US:

gallery_2873_162_3082.jpg

I fitted it up to the cut stock frame and I was blown away at the fit:

gallery_2873_162_123001.jpg

I'm hoping I can clean it up and get it down to a welding shop next weekend to get it welded solid. Next things are to chase up a stock front end an some wheels and I can basically start bolting it all up!

This rig is one I found the other day and I'll draw plenty of styling and stance cues from. Most XS650 bobbers look like a smashed crab, but this is one of the cleanest I've seen. Wouldn't even know it was a yam with it's custom side crankcase covers:

gallery_2873_162_109012.jpg

gallery_2873_162_167362.jpg

Its well done because they haven't gone overboard with the stretch on the frame, which is the typical mistake as it leaves a lot of open space between the back of the motor and the rear fender. Because the Early british stuff all run oil tanks and pre-unit gearboxes, that space is taken up.

I plan on running a harley sportser tank and these style of clubman bars like this rocket:

gallery_2873_162_9449.jpg

The exhausts are probably a little excessive, but I am keen to run twin side by side like that, just not with the crazy kick-ups!

I just thought some of you might be keen to see what else I've got planned..... Let me know what you think.

Cheers

TP.

gday philbey,

that is one awesome project man. i love that stuff. hope it all goes to plan for ya and can't wait to see build pics.

I'm currently putting together a KE10 for the missus but after that ive got a 36 dodge pick-up cab to turn into

a rat style truck.

Those american mags are such a cool source for inspiration. quite like ol skool rodz too.

anyway good luck with it all.

Wow I like em’. They make me think of rockabilly X choppers.

This looks like a fun project. If it doesn’t cost you too much and is relatively easy I would definitely consider a bike like this as a side project.

My favorite bike from Orange County Choppers was the Indian they did. I think these bikes have similar style.

Tommy,

Saw a bike of this style cruising down jetty road last night, I was VERY interested as they arent

that common. it looked tough as and got a shitload of attention.

The guy looked a little uncomforable on it but it gave that impression it could really pick up

if he gave it a squirt.

Id be keen for you to keep this thread going for sure...

Edited by ScottKE1X

That's it scotty, old school Bobbers are tough. Everyones into the 30 inch wide, massively chopped OC Choppers shit covered in polished billet these days that cost 80k to build.

I'll get the first engine running in stock format, then I reckon I'll go to town on the second motor I've got - you can get 840cc big bore kits for them, run that with a monster cam, that'd be unreal!!!@#! Set of 34mm mikunis with big ass trumpets and it'll be a real menace....

As for uncomfortable, there's lots of guys that ride em, but I reckon the old back would take a beating. All good fun.

Scored these puppies on Ebay tonight, pick em up next week I hope. Run them upside down, like on the goldy greeny metalflaked bike....

gallery_2873_162_3667.jpg

Got a few bits and pieces lined up to buy so I can hopefully get her rolling real soon....

Edited by philbey

Just picked these bars up and they look nuts in the flesh. Pissed off though because I missed out on a wicked petrol tank on Ebay because I didn't get home in time....

Turns out the guy I bought the bars off is also planning on a project much like the one I'm building!

That's it scotty, old school Bobbers are tough. Everyones into the 30 inch wide, massively chopped OC Choppers shit covered in polished billet these days that cost 80k to build.

whats the go with those massive tyres anyway, can't people fabricate a stand that looks good. As for billet, theres just to much of it getting thrown

around now. anyway, nice bars man i reckon they will look sweet.

Just scored a tank for it on Ebay, probaby paid too much but these have a nice profile. I might section the tank by an inch or two if its a bit fat on the bike. I'm a bit of a fan of the twin fillers, but a single offset filler isn't bad either.....

Probably paid a bit much, but I'll see what it's like when I get it before I get buyer remorse.

gallery_2873_162_4415.jpg

Edited by philbey