Help: High Beam Wont Come On When Flipped Backwards

scottiriver

Members dont see this ad

Definitely the combo switch, if the high beam comes "on" in one position, but not the other. Unfortunately, this is one of the weak points in these early Corollas, as the full high beam electric current passes through, & is switched by the combo switch on the steering column. There is no relay interface in between lights & switch. The switch contacts are pretty small & distort or burn, with high electric loads like those from the high beam.

Bear in mind that the one you get from a wreckers will also have seen service. I have been able to save a couple over the years by cleaning & bending the switch contact arms. It's worth a try, if you've got a little time & patience.

The ultimate solution is to insert a relay betwen the switch contacts & lights, so the the combo switch is only switching the small relay current. I've done the mod to one of my Corollas, and it works perfectly. The other benefit is your lights will be brighter, with no voltage drops across the combo switch contacts & all the wiring & connectors between lights & switch.

Always mount relays close to the lights & run a fused supply to the relay directly from the battery.

I'm just about to do the same mod to my KE-30.

Cheers !

Banjo :y: