Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tail Shaft For Auto 2 Manual Conversion

Featured Replies

Hi All,

Finally worked up the motivation to finish off converting my ke10 to a manual. Works been killing me and car has been sitting on stands for months now.

 

However I have hit a snag! :dance:

 

The tail shaft used on the 2 speed toyoglide box has 16 teeth spline, with a key position. The T40 box I have has a 20 teeth spline.

 

Length of the tail shaft looks fine.

 

Question is this, can I get the gearbox end off a manual tail shaft (from another model e.g ke70) and replace the existing tail shaft from the yolks forward? Will this change the length?

 

This one buggered me as everything I have read says that the tail shafts are interchangable.....

 

If that is the case, does anyone have a manual tail shaft with the 20 teeth fitting?

 

location = Sydney

 

Cheers, Anthony

Edited by AJC

you will need an early manual yolk (ke1x and ke2x), as the uni joints in the later tailshafts are larger (ke3x ke5x and ke70)

 

tailshaft length is also different between auto and manual. the auto tailshafts are 1" or so longer.

 

sucks to say, but you will need a manual tailshaft from a ke1x or ke2x. it doesn't matter if it's from a car with a banjo diff or BW diff, as you can just swap the rear flanges if necessary.

 

dF

  • Author

Dam!

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Anthony

dfunkt I had no trouble whatsoever with my conversion; I used my Toyoglide tailshaft in my ke16and all I had to do was change over my front yoke to one with the correct number of splines.

 

I went to the wrecker, they had a bucket full of front youkes they had cut from only tailshafts, found the one I needed (spline counting - fun) and I just took it to a gearbox place, they swapped them and rebuilt the front uni.

 

No problems with length etc.

 

This was KE55 K50 gearbox, exact same length as my toyoglide box. Later model KE70 boxes have more splines, I'm not certain what the K40's have but their length is also the same.

my yellow 30 was auto and i assume it still has the auto tailshaft. it was used on a KE30-55 K40 and slid right into my ke70 K50 when we did the 5spd conversion

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.