April 14, 200917 yr comment_336285 Now that i've given the old girl a proper clean up i thought id post up a few details. While it is still far from finished i gave it a cut and polish just to see how the original paint (most of it) would look. Basicaly it started out like a dirty ass chalk board and now its back to its original white, with a brilliant shine through it. It took me about 13 hrs to complete from start to finish over a few days with a bit of gin time as well. Next time if i get carried away i might put the clay bar on it but i should really remove the rusted spots first. I used the meguiar's medium cutting compound and a $70 supercheap adjustable orbital buffer, I'm extremely happy with the results considering how it started. Now A few details about the car, Its a '73 with a 3K back in it after i destroyed the 5K with a K40 4spd. On the front it has ke55 hubs, calipers and rotors and on the back, ke30 axles cut 6mm and ke30 rear drums. 13x6 Jelly beans which are now all polished up. Future Plans: -Fix up all the rust -Rebuild the broken 5K to mild form and run that until I'm bored -Turbo 4AGZE or my spare LS1 if i want to be stupid about it! Report
April 14, 200917 yr comment_336349 I love it when you can make something look a million bucks just from a bit of time and effort. Looks like you have a nice little project there, Yeshi! Good luck with the 5k. Report
April 14, 200917 yr comment_336355 Not bad at all ! I really should have done that to mine (in hindsight it was all it needed). Report
April 14, 200917 yr Author comment_336356 I love it when you can make something look a million bucks just from a bit of time and effort.Looks like you have a nice little project there, Yeshi! Good luck with the 5k. Cheers mate. To be honest i didn't think it would take as long as it did, but I'm glad i did it now. Mainly because i know i wont have to go through it all again for a long time!! Ill post up a photo tommorow of the destroyed big end bearing of the old 5K, 2 bearings are scored and number 4's was broken in half! Ive never rebuilt an engine before so a mild 5K should be a good starting point. Report
April 15, 200917 yr Author comment_336498 This was what happened to the number 4 big end bearing. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now