7a-fe/fte Gearbox Replacement

Terminal

Can anyone shed some light on my situation.

I've got an AE112 corolla sportivo and i've just been told the bearings in the gearbox are shot. I think it's probably a lot cheaper to put a new gearbox on than repair this one. Can anyone confirm the gearbox from any 7A-FE will fit another, say from an AE96 or AE101. I can find a gearbox fairly cheaply from an older model corolla with the same engine, i just wanted to make sure the gearboxes are compatible.

Cheers.

Andrew

Edited by Terminal

Members dont see this ad

What does the VIN panel say? I don't think they changed the gearbox from the normal 7AFE, in which case it's a mickey-mouse C52, which came out behind 4AGE AE82s and AE92s, as well as some AW11 MR2s and 7AFE AE102s and AE112s (not sure about the 7AFE AE92s). They should all bolt in fine, same bellhousing and everything, just make sure you have the end cover panel (goes between block and bellhousing) to suit your starter-motor location (the C52 has provision for both intake- and exhaust-side mountings)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Awesome. I've found some cheap AE101/102 gearboxes to replace mine with, rather than forking out for a rebuild or an AE112 gearbox. The Sportivo only had a bolt on turbo, intercooler & oil cooler. I don't think they changed the gearbox. It doesn't have an LSD, that's for sure.

Awesome. I've found some cheap AE101/102 gearboxes to replace mine with, rather than forking out for a rebuild or an AE112 gearbox. The Sportivo only had a bolt on turbo, intercooler & oil cooler. I don't think they changed the gearbox. It doesn't have an LSD, that's for sure.

Make sure it's an AE102 one (or AE101 Levin), not the ADM AE101 CSi etc, as they only had the C50.