20 Valve Silvertop

offroader..

Hi there i have a 4age 20 valve silvertop in a offroad buggy i am running a microtech L10 computer

i'm looking for a bit more power so i'm thinking Cams, Extractors,Adjustable cam gears ETC!!!

any one with ideas of what sort of gear to use that would be great and just a couple pics of my toy:hmm:

post-6914-1245778230_thumb.jpg

post-6914-1245778411_thumb.jpg

Edited by offroader..

Members dont see this ad
Hi there i have a 4age 20 valve silvertop in a offroad buggy i am running a microtech L10 computer

i'm looking for a bit more power so i'm thinking Cams, Extractors,Adjustable cam gears ETC!!!

any one with ideas of what sort of gear to use that would be great and just a couple pics of my toy:hmm:

Nice buggy mate.

Looks quite fun to say the least.

I'm not too good on solid technical info for the cams but Ill try.

Id suggest some decent camshafts from Toda or HKS. Bear in mind a 20v in general costs more to work than a 16v, but I think its worth it. You could also try Ivan Tighe Cams, he can supply or make what you need. I once enquired with him and he was able to supply cams for around $1000 from memory, which is a darn good price, IMO.

You may want to add in a pair of adjustable cam gears also, to make the most of the set of cams you get. If you push the duration out beyond approximately 270 duration on the inlet you will need to remove the vvt pulley and put on a normal cam gear.

The question is, how much hp do you want, and where do you want your power spread to be best. Do you want to go solid to 8000rpm, 9000rpm? How far did you want to push it. Bear in mind you can only really trust the factory oil pump to 8500 or 9000 in extremes.

Does your buggy run a dry sump? Or any electric oil pump boost?

Nice buggy mate.

Looks quite fun to say the least.

I'm not too good on solid technical info for the cams but Ill try.

Id suggest some decent camshafts from Toda or HKS. Bear in mind a 20v in general costs more to work than a 16v, but I think its worth it. You could also try Ivan Tighe Cams, he can supply or make what you need. I once enquired with him and he was able to supply cams for around $1000 from memory, which is a darn good price, IMO.

You may want to add in a pair of adjustable cam gears also, to make the most of the set of cams you get. If you push the duration out beyond approximately 270 duration on the inlet you will need to remove the vvt pulley and put on a normal cam gear.

The question is, how much hp do you want, and where do you want your power spread to be best. Do you want to go solid to 8000rpm, 9000rpm? How far did you want to push it. Bear in mind you can only really trust the factory oil pump to 8500 or 9000 in extremes.

Does your buggy run a dry sump? Or any electric oil pump boost?

Thanks for the reply, No i don't run a dry sump or a electric oil boost pump.

I'm looking @ about 120KW @ the wheels hopefully i can get that with a set of the right cams

and a good set of extractors. I want the power mid range to top end as we are in the high rev range most of the time

Edited by offroader..

• 2 weeks later...

Well your inlet cam is on VVT so an adj inlet cam gear is not much good there if you want to keep the VVT. If you don't need midrange, then just lose the VVT altogether, and get 2 new cams and 2 adj cam gears to dial in what you want.

Custom plenum would help including tuned length rams. (The silvertop trumpets are smaller than the blacktop ones).

• 2 weeks later...
Well your inlet cam is on VVT so an adj inlet cam gear is not much good there if you want to keep the VVT. If you don't need midrange, then just lose the VVT altogether, and get 2 new cams and 2 adj cam gears to dial in what you want.

Custom plenum would help including tuned length rams. (The silvertop trumpets are smaller than the blacktop ones).

Hey mate thanks for the information ive been away so sorry about the late reply!!

So could i just go longer trumpets then make a custom plenum to suit. Just make it bigger for more air?

ive been told you can put a black top throttle body on a silver top with a bit stuffin around.

Edited by offroader..