Tyres - Help Required! [solved]

Kozmo

Hi folks,

Long story short... I've punctured the sidewall of one of my tyres on the AE92 and need to buy a new one.

I have moved the spare tyre to the front of the car.

I would like to run the new tyre at the front.

This is the tricky part... I want a new tyre with similar characteristics to the "ex-spare" tyre.

I'm hoping that someone with more experienced than myself might be able to give me a suggestion in regards to what tyre I should purchase. :y:

The "ex-spare" is a Bridgestone RE88. Specs: 185x60x14

I would get another RE88 but they are no longer manufactured, so... my thoughts are to go with a Bridgestone Turanza ER300. If you think you know of a better match, please tell :wink: .

Thanks,

- Koz

Edited by Kozmo

Members dont see this ad
By a pair and put the spare back in the boot, its probally gone hard by now.

I agree, a new pair would be a good idea to make sure they behave the same.

The spare is only a couple of years old - the rubber's still good :wink: .

But rubber ages - all of the goodness "leaks" out if it is not being used, especially if it has been stored in the sun (UV kills tyres) or near solvents (like petrol and oils). While it may look OK, the rubber will be harder and will not perform like a new one.

Ok, I've decided that if I'm going to buy one new two up the front... I'll do the job properly and get two.

I've got two new Sumitomo tyres from the boys at The Tyre Factory + a F&R wheel alignment.

Good job I decided to have the wheel alignment too, looking at the data sheet they gave me for the before and after specs... the car was in a bit of a mess (that explains the funny wear patterns I've been seeing on the tyres) :sob: .

Took the car for a spin in the wet yesterday, it has heaps more grip now :sob: .

Thanks for your input.

Edited by Kozmo