18rg Into Ke70

enroh

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 94 seca rv, and just bought an 81 ke70 and rolled 83 Corona with a cammed and twin webbered 18rg and 5spd..

Will post pics soon as i get around to it.

Anyway, was looking at slapping the 18R outta the corona into the ke70 for a bit more more poke.

I haven't had time to get around to measuring anything up yet and thought I'd just ask to see if anyone had done this and if they could give me a few pointers to save me time...

-Can I use the engine mounts and gearbox mounts?

-Can I use the front discs and calipers? (I haven't looked but id imagine they are bigger!)

-What are the upgrades needed to pass regs in qld?

Thanks in advance

Josh,,

Members dont see this ad

josh - you probably wont be able to register this conversion, becasue the carby version of the 18RG ended production around 1979-1980, and the KE70 started production around 1982/83.

Me personally - I'm putting a turbo 18R-GEU in my KE70, but i have already cleared this with an engineer, cos the 18RGEU was made up until 1983/84, which overlaps with the KE70 production.

As for ease of fitment - i am expecting to require custom engine mounts and gearbox crossmember. I'm also using a W55 gearbox for extra strengths.

In short - don't bother.

Thanks for the info The Witzl..

But it didn't really make sense.

(So at the moment I think I will still go ahead with the build.)

The '81 ke70 is a carby'd 4k right..

And the '83 18r was fuel injected before the Webbers and cam was fitted.

If I'm fitting the engine, I thought it only had to comply with the regulations of the body it's fitted to, along with modifications to keep everything within performance tolerances.

But please correct me if I am wrong.

But anyway,

I imagine the engineer required you to upgrade the brakes?

-Bigger discs and calipers up front

-Rear discs

-Matched master cylinder

I can sort out a set of engine mounts and gearbox mounts myself, then get them engineered.

How did you go with tailshaft length?

Thanks in advance

Josh,,

custom tailshaft for me - i have a volvo diff also... so everything is custom in mine.

Best speaking to a signatory engineer on this planned conversion - it could be allowed, and it might not be. Best off asking the guy who would have to sign off on it (thats what i did, but I'm in NSW).