July 29, 200917 yr comment_362265 Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a 94 seca rv, and just bought an 81 ke70 and rolled 83 Corona with a cammed and twin webbered 18rg and 5spd.. Will post pics soon as i get around to it. Anyway, was looking at slapping the 18R outta the corona into the ke70 for a bit more more poke. I haven't had time to get around to measuring anything up yet and thought I'd just ask to see if anyone had done this and if they could give me a few pointers to save me time... -Can I use the engine mounts and gearbox mounts? -Can I use the front discs and calipers? (I haven't looked but id imagine they are bigger!) -What are the upgrades needed to pass regs in qld? Thanks in advance Josh,, Report
July 31, 200917 yr comment_362632 josh - you probably wont be able to register this conversion, becasue the carby version of the 18RG ended production around 1979-1980, and the KE70 started production around 1982/83. Me personally - I'm putting a turbo 18R-GEU in my KE70, but i have already cleared this with an engineer, cos the 18RGEU was made up until 1983/84, which overlaps with the KE70 production. As for ease of fitment - i am expecting to require custom engine mounts and gearbox crossmember. I'm also using a W55 gearbox for extra strengths. In short - don't bother. Report
August 1, 200917 yr Author comment_362851 Thanks for the info The Witzl.. But it didn't really make sense. (So at the moment I think I will still go ahead with the build.) The '81 ke70 is a carby'd 4k right.. And the '83 18r was fuel injected before the Webbers and cam was fitted. If I'm fitting the engine, I thought it only had to comply with the regulations of the body it's fitted to, along with modifications to keep everything within performance tolerances. But please correct me if I am wrong. But anyway, I imagine the engineer required you to upgrade the brakes? -Bigger discs and calipers up front -Rear discs -Matched master cylinder I can sort out a set of engine mounts and gearbox mounts myself, then get them engineered. How did you go with tailshaft length? Thanks in advance Josh,, Report
August 3, 200917 yr comment_363213 custom tailshaft for me - i have a volvo diff also... so everything is custom in mine. Best speaking to a signatory engineer on this planned conversion - it could be allowed, and it might not be. Best off asking the guy who would have to sign off on it (thats what i did, but I'm in NSW). Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now