Rocker Cover

tylerrice

yeah i figured that, so it keeps oil out, less heat? what else are its purposes? are they worth it? anyone selling one? how much? post to NSW or pick up near Hornsby? :hmm:

man I think you're still missing the point. It's a necessary, intergral part, innocuous as it may be, you can't run the motor with out one.

You motor already has one, it is what you might call the "top bit" of your engine. The one for sale is simply a factory item that has been removed from a motor and polished.

In order to fit it, you'll need to undo 2 nuts, the throttle cable brackets and depending on the year you might have a heater hose bracket. A sharp tap with a rubber mallet will loosen it and you'll be able to lift it off.

You then replace the original, removed item with your new shiny one.

If you need a hand with this, yell out.

Cheers

TP

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh ok thats what i needed to hear... so i already have one... that makes a shit load of sense now, the way i saw it before as it just slips over the motor i have now.... but this would replace the part on my motor... so it just a polished up part that is already on mine?

HA!!! Man, this is the funniest stuff I have read in a while! Engine Hat! That is classic!! I love it. I used to always call it "Rocket" cover just to be fun, but now I think I'll call it the engine hat! LOVE IT!!

When it comes to old engines and rubber gaskets it is my opinion that you should ALWAYS replace the "Engine Hat" gasket as it saves you a big horrible mess if it doesn't seal up right again when you put it all back together. Rubber gaskets go very hard over time and then crack and split when you go to put it back together.

So, unless you replaced the gasket like a month ago and know it is good, spend the $10 and get a new gasket.

I'm sure there would be a factory torque setting for the Engine Hat, but I have always just done them up kinda tight, but not too tight as you could damage your new gasket.

Engine hat.....man I love it!!!! I guess if a hat did for humans what an engine hat does for an engine, taking a hat off your head would result in blood SPRAYING all over the room, running all over your face and body and give the potenital for things to get stuck in the inner workings of your brain........now wouldn't that be interesting.

Oh Yes, and as for polishing youself, you want to have a good pollishing wheel and some good polishing compound and a bit of patience or else you'll end up with really really really sore blistered fingers, aching muscles and a not very well polished Engine Hat.

For the trouble it is worth if you don't have the right gear it is better buying an already polished one. Failing that, there are businesses about that polish stuff. That is all they do, just polish anything you give them. It may well work out less money to have someone polish the one you have rather than buying an already polished one.

Polishing has it's ups and downs. On one hand polished stuff in your engine bay looks COOL, on the other, you have to KEEP polishing it to keep it looking cool, just the same as you need to polish your paint every now and then. Make sure you use good quality metal polish. I have gotten onto a great product (that I'm sure lots of polish freaks like me know about) called Meguires NXT All metal Polish. It is kinda expensive but it does a NICE job. It comes in a green tub and you can get it at most any auto store. They also have regular "All Metal Polish" that comes in a black tub, I have not tried this, but it is like less than half the price, AND it smells like coconuts!! It would be like polishing metal on a tropical island!

remove the engine hat, clean where it contacts the top of the engine, remove any bits of old gasket if its rank. You want two smooth surfaces, get a new gasket, bit of gasket goo, and tighten it down. Torque doesnt matter as it just a "hat". Just make sure its tight and you are good to go. Personally i'd put my money elsewhere as this wont affect performance. Just take ya old one off do the gasket and put a coat of heat resistant paint on it if ya wanna be fancy.