Catalina Park Raceway, Katoomba

Very cool run through of a bygone era FBC.:y:

Thankyou also to Richard for a 'racecam' pic

Looks like a really challenging track by the pics......If i ever go to NSW I will consider a visit/walk around it

This makes me realise once again how lucky QLD is to have Lakeside re-opened (which is awesome becauseits only 10 minutes away)

• 1 year later...
Members dont see this ad

Great photos FBC. Really takes me back. My first involvement in motor sport was as a 17 year old flag marshal at Catalina in the late 70s at Rallycross meetings. I became Chief Flag Marshal at 19 and Australian Rallycross Association club Vice President at 20. By the end of 1980 the track was closed. Blue Mountains City Council owned the land and circuit and they decided not to renew its CAMS track license for open rallycross meetings. It remained a club track into the 90s before closing altogether. Ah those were the days.

post-17903-0-55751200-1359550283_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

If anyone is interested, zen garage visited Catalina recently and did a full write up on it, photos and all, much like this one. I think they may have even done a cruise there and back as one of you suggested, as there was a rather large group of them in the photos. They also found an old video of a Datsun 1600 racing around there before it was closed. Again, shame it's not a rolla but you can't have everything hey ;)

It really gives you an idea of how tight and technical the track was, as well as an idea of its true width and size before it was left to deteriorate.

Speaking of deterioration, there is now a fallen tree across the track and I'm sure the overgrowth of plants has got worse. Perhaps if we have a cruise there to check it out and people started showing interest in it again there might at least be a chance of someone maintaining it. Who knows, if there's enough publicity and enough interest they may even reopen it!

Either way, here's the zen garage post. Check it out! :)

http://zengarage.com.au/2014/01/catalinaraceway/