Need Help 5k Rebuild What To Do

sliesh

hey guys i hope it doesnt come across as a stupid question and yes i have searched BUT

i need help on rebuilding my 5k id like to go for big power but need the motor for a daily

what motor set ups have people done and what power and reliability are they getting i don't relli want to rev the crap out of the motor will need it to last but if it makes good power why not :) lol

items ill need help in

i want to put a cam in but don't know what

want to put a electric dizzy in will probably but one from ke motorsport on here

what head to use i have most heads here 3kbp 4k and 5k heads what to do use?

extractors 4-1 or 4-2-1 ? this will depend on rev range

i have a 32,/38 webber here ill probably use will the inlet manifold make a differencs

bottom end is rebuilt.

as you can see its a hard topic to discuss as there are so many questions but i think we need to pin something like this up ( if it isnt already )

PLEASE HELP LOL

Members dont see this ad
hey guys i hope it doesnt come across as a stupid question and yes i have searched BUT

i need help on rebuilding my 5k id like to go for big power but need the motor for a daily

what motor set ups have people done and what power and reliability are they getting i don't relli want to rev the crap out of the motor will need it to last but if it makes good power why not :) lol

items ill need help in

i want to put a cam in but don't know what depends what you want! torque? revs? lumpy idle?

want to put a electric dizzy in will probably but one from ke motorsport on here do it

what head to use i have most heads here 3kbp 4k and 5k heads what to do use? don't use 3kbp heads! there alot older than your 5k head and the ports are pretty much the same. if you want more compression, shave the 5k head and give it a head job

extractors 4-1 or 4-2-1 ? this will depend on rev range torque vs. hp

i have a 32,/38 webber here ill probably use will the inlet manifold make a differencs

bottom end is rebuilt.

as you can see its a hard topic to discuss as there are so many questions but i think we need to pin something like this up ( if it isnt already )

PLEASE HELP LOL

this has be covered sooooo many times

hey ive read that many of times it doesnt relli help what parts to use only said what to do and recomend'

hence why I'm asking what people have done and power there getting atm, i don't know whats better if i need a revy motor or a more torqey motor as i live in the hills near blackwood belair so i have to go up hills, ill be putting a 5sp in eventually and a better ratio diff.

i basically want to build a motor some one else recomends and has used before, hopefully some one with k motor experience thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

G'day,

My 5k runs a Camtech (from Sydney) stage 3 solid camshaft. But it used to run a stage 4 hydraulic and that was fine-made good power and wasn't too grumpy at idle and around town. I recommend you convert to solid lifters though as the hydraulics didn't last long with a big cam. I run the 5K head which I had ported by Racetech heads in Sydney also- great job they did too. It also runs lightweight oversize stainless steel valves with double springs (performance springs) at around 80lbs of seat pressure- you can run 110lb but not really necessary on the street as i have had not valve bounce issues.

Static comp is 11.5:1 and it has to run 98 octane unleaded and needs to be in gear with the clutch just loaded to turn it off without run on.

I run the distributor from the original 3k but with all mechanical advance for a single 40mm side draft DCOE Weber- simple and effective.

I use the Pertronix ignitor as an under the cap electronic ignition and again, has been in use for 10 years with no problems.

It has nearly 39 deg of total advance but i have no idea of the actual curve, but k motors need heaps of advance to make power and to be able to run that you need the head ported and polished to minimise detonation and use 98 octane fuel. Get the recurve of the dizzy done on a regraphing machine and get it done at a dyno place. Expensive but worth it.

My Extractors are 4-1 and then a 2" system with 1 hot dog and a hi-flo muffler- again works fine and not that expensive. Just put exhaust insulating tape around them or you'll collapse the lower radiator hose as they run close.

I can definitely recommend the DCOE Weber though- it is a pain to get set up properly but so tune-able and with one its just set and forget.

Just be careful how you go about the lifter conversion as there are various methods.

Did you get the bottom end balanced and blueprinted?- makes a big difference too

hope that helps you a bit more.

Cheers,

Ben

hey ive read that many of times it doesnt relli help what parts to use only said what to do and recomend'

hence why I'm asking what people have done and power there getting atm, i don't know whats better if i need a revy motor or a more torqey motor as i live in the hills near blackwood belair so i have to go up hills, ill be putting a 5sp in eventually and a better ratio diff.

i basically want to build a motor some one else recomends and has used before, hopefully some one with k motor experience thanks...

• 2 weeks later...