August 12, 201016 yr comment_458776 Hey, I am planning on putting my ke38 on historic rego. This means I have to be member of a 'recognised car club' of South Australia. Unfortunately I don't think rolla club is one. I have found a few which are and they range in price and are for various car types. But as far as I can see there is none for corollas or old toyotas or anything that has anything to do with my car. So far I am looking at the Sporting Car Club of SA but they are three times as expensive as other clubs I have found. Can anyone suggest a recognised club suitable for an old corolla? There must be someone here who has their car on historic rego... Cheers Chris Report
August 13, 201016 yr comment_459123 I believe Henry (Ke20Me) has his car on historic....But don't quote me on that :fuzz: Edited August 13, 201016 yr by Bugzbarney Report
August 14, 201016 yr comment_459314 SMASA is good - my friend has 5 cars and a motorbike done historically through them. http://www.smasa.com.au/ Membership is bugger all ($40 p.a + $15 per logbook - these last 3 years though) but if you want to get the car on historic straight away it costs a bit more (extra $60 or something). They're very picky though - no mods whatsoever apart from anything that you can convince them was a factory option, which on 38's wasn't much. You can whack stuff on once registered, but doing it really puts the future of historic registration (which has been under threat of significant modifications to the existing laws in SA for years, and it will happen eventually) because if you get busted they have more ammunition. Needs yearly inspections too so mods need to be changed back to original. Or...you can start your own club with minimum of 6 members (none can live in the same house) and do it yourself which is well worth consideration in my opinion. Obviously it's not quite as simple as that, but it is possible. Pros: Less than $150 a year rego, 90 days you can drive it using logbook to record each trip. Cons: Really not for modified cars in SA (unfortunately) Yo Report
August 14, 201016 yr Author comment_459334 Thanks for that. I will definitely look into it. Its a pity about the lack of mods allowed, I wonder what the exceptions are and whether or not old style rims are allowed. Either way for that kind of price I would happily rock the stockies just to keep them happy. Cheers Report
August 17, 201016 yr comment_460060 Thanks for that. I will definitely look into it. Its a pity about the lack of mods allowed, I wonder what the exceptions are and whether or not old style rims are allowed. Either way for that kind of price I would happily rock the stockies just to keep them happy. Cheers Historic Rego is for stock classic cars, so you won't really find exceptions. They will photograph the car and engine bay at time of changing to historic and then check each year when renewing. A few of my cars are on historic with SMASA. My Stout is, but my Rolla is not. Report
August 17, 201016 yr comment_460315 They're very picky though - no mods whatsoever apart from anything that you can convince them was a factory option, which on 38's wasn't much. You can whack stuff on once registered, but doing it really puts the future of historic registration (which has been under threat of significant modifications to the existing laws in SA for years, and it will happen eventually) because if you get busted they have more ammunition. Needs yearly inspections too so mods need to be changed back to original. Pros: Less than $150 a year rego, 90 days you can drive it using logbook to record each trip. Cons: Really not for modified cars in SA (unfortunately) Historic Rego is for stock classic cars, so you won't really find exceptions. They will photograph the car and engine bay at time of changing to historic and then check each year when renewing. A few of my cars are on historic with SMASA. My Stout is, but my Rolla is not. My 911 is with the Sporting Car Club SA. They don't really mind what cars people have, it's a huge club too. The 911 is stock but he wasn't that fussed about mods. Things like Wheels and Exhausts they don't really care about. As for photographing it and checking each year, absolutely none of that bullshit either. membership is around 45 bucks per year if you're under 28. More if your older. Report
August 17, 201016 yr comment_460318 Interestingly enough, the DTEI has very little to say about modifications on club registered cars. "has not been modified from its original design except as allowed in the code of practice;" HERE As far as a Code of Practice goes, they just send you to the DTEI website and the usual list of allowable modifications (lowering, suspension, etc). LHD vehicles are more stringent because there is a specific document detailing strict rules on modifying left hand drives. It appears that SMASA are applying their own conditions over the top of the DTEI rules.... Interesting. Edited August 17, 201016 yr by philbey Report
August 18, 201016 yr comment_460326 It appears that SMASA are applying their own conditions over the top of the DTEI rules.... Interesting. Hmmmm..... that really is interesting! I know the Cortina Capri Car Club are very relaxed about what they put on historic too. Almost has to be a drag car to not get a Mk1 Cortina or Escort on historic with them. It seems maybe SMASA are a bit over the top. I've just always accepted their way without too much thought of trying a different club. Good info! Report
August 18, 201016 yr comment_460369 I guess I should also point out that the same friend (my housemate) has his Matte black HQ ute on historic through SMASA. Holden did a colour called "GMH Blackout Black" which was used for engine bays etc, he convinced them it was a factory colour and they either believed him or couldn't be bothered checking... His ute is also lowered a bit, but that was done after being inspected. Edited August 18, 201016 yr by TOM Report
August 20, 201016 yr Author comment_461020 Thanks for the info guys, sounds like Sporting Car Club SA is the go. I must have read wrong their price per year, $45 a year is very reasonable. I will give them a call sometime soon and get the ball rolling. Look forward to having my car on historic rego :D ;) Report
September 10, 201016 yr comment_467386 45 bucks a year only applies under 27/28 or so. It's about 150 otherwise. Also, not that I've used but you get access to a pretty cool library of info too. "Our collection of motorsport and motoring information in our magnificent Eric Rainsford Library, is one of the largest in the southern hemisphere. The Library offers Club Members workshop manuals, spare parts lists, current motoring journals and motoring books in addition to videos. Over 7000 volumes including workshop manuals, spare parts lists, motoring journals and books are mostly available for Members to borrow and research is available to non-Members." Edited September 10, 201016 yr by philbey Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now