Lpg On 4k?

KE-JG

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a quote from Torque Gas, Caloundra for $1870 to do a KE70, all new stuff.

And just did some calculations - should have done it before I guess......

Running on juice @ 10 litres/100k = 10k/litre = 0.1 litres/k @ $1.30/litre = $0.13/k.

Running on gas (20% less) @ 8k/litre = 0.125 litres/k @ $0.50/litre = $0.0625/k.

So the saving is $0.0675/k.

So, to pay off $1870 would take only about 28,000k - not as bad as I thought....

ps - Don't know my way around these forums yet, so only just discovered that there are two more pages of comment that I hadn't seen yet.....

I reckon I'll go ahead and put the LPG in my KE36.

This will be instead of a KE70 for my daughter. I know she wants something 'cuter' than a KE70 anyhow.... She dreams of one of those little 'jellybean' cars, so she'll have to sort that out for herself.

Yeh, I know it'll cost more than twice the investment that I now have in the KE36, but I intend to drive this machine forever, I love it so much, so it'll pay back big time over the years when petrol gets r-e-a-l-l-y dear.

Right now I've got a 5k block in being bored out, and the cam being reground. The cam grinder reckons that the mild high-lift grind will go well with the gas. Word seems to be that the valve seats in the K series can handle it. Compression ratio now is 9.4, and gas supplier reckons not worth upping it. Just advance spark a bit and I'll probably do a new advance curve, after I try it first.

I'll go duel-fuel, because gas isn't so easily found in the country - I've been caught several times in the Ford when I needed the duel backup. What would you do if you're running on straight gas and you arrive in Glen Innes, NSW, counting on filling up, only to find that the only pump in town is u/s and it's too far to get to another town with gas supply?? It's not as if you can just take a jerry can and go get some.... I guess you'd have to wait there until they got the pump fixed or load it on a tow truck...... Luckily I had duel-fuel that time..... Some say duel-fuel doesn't go as well, but the Ford sure doesn't show it - excellent throttle response, pulls really well at any revs - and I drive it h-a-r-d.

It'd be good to use second hand stuff, but would still have to find a qualified fitter willing to install and sign off the system - the rules he has to work by are pretty strict, for real good reasons. I saw some used tanks at Kelly's Wreckers, but all are out-of-date and they reckoned they very seldom get one that's current. I'm forever running on patched-up second-hand stuff that needs fixing, so it'd be kind of good have new for a change.......

Anyhow, I reckon I will do it, and I'll let you know how it works out.....

I said that about the XF's.

Even watch out for EA's and EB's. Don't look for commos, no-one seems to convert the older ones.

All the system is reusable, no matter what age, bar the tank. 10 yrs is the expiration period. You can get them retested for $70 (I think), most of the time they are still usable. I think that adds another 10 yrs. You could probably do it yourself for $300-$500 max, but you need a gas-fitter license or someone with one to have it legit. I think the shops that do it will check the fitting and sign the plate for a fee.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks for the tips - I'll try even harder to find someone to fit secondhand. Sounds like it's well worth getting a sound old tank tested and certified. The rest of the stuff is straight forward.

That young trike rider sure has the feel of driftin! I was raised on the prairies of Canada, with bad gravel roads in summer and ice in winter, so we all did lots of driftin, even when we were trying to go straight! Wheat stubble fields after the crop was harvested were the best - the old Dodge pickup and even a '31 Chevy coupe could drift out there.