1975 Ke30 Project

lammi

SO, this is my younger brothers KE30 he got for dirt cheap, so therefore its in poor condition. Only good thing about it i think, would be the K50 gearbox. Which the previous owner installed

I've taken it on as a project for myself, because of my love for cars ;P

First things first was getting it running, with only 240,000kms on it i figured this couldnt be too hard (240k isnt much for these engines :yes: )

So, I put a new battery in it, new spark plugs, changed out the black as sin oil and the old oil filter, and gave the carby a good spray with carby cleaner. I turned the key and it started first go.....brilliant :happy:

09102010060.jpg

09102010061.jpg

Next thing was to get the old shocks out front and rear and replace with new....the rears they had on the shelf but the fronts had to be ordered. So i started with the rear.

Out with the old.

01102010045.jpg

In with the new

01102010046.jpg

09102010056.jpg

I then skipped to the interior and took the old torn seat covers off, and dropped them in to have the seams re-stitched as they had all pulled apart (I'm still waiting for them to be finished)

After that i decided to bleed the brakes, and after failing miserably to realise that there was a separate reservoir for the fronts hiding behind the strut tower in the engine bay, i took the calipers off and ordered new seal kits for them. Still pending arrival.

I then cut all the rust out, and hit it with some rust converter, still need to get around to bogging it all up, but took the left front guard off so i can fix it properly, as the hole is too big for body filler. Still needs a tickle where the chrome strip was.

09102010059.jpg

This is how much dirt came out from behind it.

09102010058.jpg

Which brings me to today, where i got the front struts out and used trial and error to work out how to get the bloody cartridge out.....only to realise that there wasnt a cartridge in there, its the 35 year old original. So after much pain and tribulation trying to get that gland nut off (i ended up using a stilson spanner and putting the axle in the hole in the strut tower to stop it rotating) I got it off only to be surprised with a very large mess of old shock oil. One shock shaft was even bent by about 5 degrees. Absolute filth.

Here it is as it stands, waiting for the arrival of the new front shock cartridges (also cheap gabriels) and the caliper rebuild kits. Once i get that front end back in, and fix up the new holes in the bodywork. I can move on to getting the seats back in.....and fixing the horn. (the contact pin behind the steering wheel doesnt have a spring on it and must be broken)

09102010057.jpg

09102010062.jpg

If anything, this project has been fun, so setting aside the new learning curve (as all ive ever worked on before was AE82's) All is well.

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 months later...

So the beast is getting there.

post-1428-028158600 1292380620_thumb.jpg

Painted the stocks black, They look fair mad now :cool:

post-1428-014990100 1292380683_thumb.jpg

I Love my car, still gotta a lot that i can do with it, thinking about painting it? or do you reckon i should keep it original? I'm not too sure :/

post-1428-088158500 1292380707_thumb.jpg

LIGHTS! :o :dance: haha ;)

post-1428-087113100 1292380488_thumb.jpg

Edited by lammi