Help!! 5K Wont Start

jaygore

Hi guys,

My 5k which is in a ke20 corolla was working, I parked it and then it wouldnt turn over anymore :(, I was able to push/clutch start it fine with ease.

I have removed the starter motor and checked it and replaced it, but it wasnt this, I have confirmed that their is power to the starter motor and while it was out I checked to make sure that it was actually running.

does anyone have any ideas? I'm in a bit of a pickle, All fuses seem to be fine as well, could it be my actual ignition switch?

Members dont see this ad

could very well be your ignition switch.

on your starter there are 2 wires, 1 chunky wire direct from battery, and 1 little wire that is your solenoid wire or "trigger" wire for the start (comes via your key/ignition switch)

get a random peice of wire, and go from your battery straight to your trigger wire, it should turn the engine over.

if this is the case, follow the trigger wire around and look for faults. put a multi meter on the trigger wire and see if you get any volts when you try and start it. do you hear a clicking noise at all? if this is the case yo umay need an extra relay in your starter solenoid circuit.

actually what you can do, since your battery is in the boot.

get your little peice of wire, and bridge the main wire on the starter AND the trigger wire on the starter. this should make your starter motor turn.

you say you have voltage at the starter, but which wire did you check? you can have voltage at the main power wire all day, but if the trigger wire (solenoid) is never given power your starter will never turn.

there is no "earth" wire. on the starter or from the battery.

the starter motor "earths" itself through your engine block when you bolt it in.

the other wire you would have checked (big one straight from battery) is the +12V direct from the battery, it is not switched, it is constant.

yes check the solenoid wire. this is what your key/switch controls.

not starting = 0 volts, starting = 12volts. (with reference to "ground")

good stuff mate! glad you got it working again.

its a good idea to wire in a relay to that wire, so it draws power straight from the battery rather than through the original connections.

over the years the connections throughout the car will get a bit dodgy and you can get some voltage drop through them, or even broken connections . which i suspect has happened in your car.

there is a thing in the FAQ about how to wire up said relay (i think...). i had your problem quite a number of years ago, wired in the relay and hasnt given any drama since.